Give me a crispy tortilla slathered with refried beans, cheese and carnitas and I’ll be one happy gal! This Carnitas Mexican Pizza situation is kicking off a slew of Cinco de Mayo recipes on WGC. Bring it!!
With Cinco de Mayo just around the corner, these Carnitas Mexican Pizzas need to be on repeat! A majorly jazzed up spin on a classic cheese crisp, these include a toasted flour tortilla, a heading spoonful of Old El Paso refried beans, melted cheese and homemade carnitas (recipe below)
Everything gets melted / toasted / crisped in the oven and then it’s game time. Finish it off with some shredded cabbage for a little crunch and some fresh cilantro to keep things colorful and go to town!!!
Carnitas Mexican Pizza
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can Old El Paso refried Beans
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 12- inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese 8 ounces
- 1 cup homemade Carnitas
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chipotle salsa
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and season with salt; cook for 3 minutes or until onion and garlic are tender. Stir in chili powder and cumin; cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat; stir in beans and 3 tablespoons of the water. Transfer mixture to a food processor. Cover and pulse until bean mixture is spreadable but still chunky, adding more water if necessary to make a spreadable mixture.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, evenly spread a thin layer of the bean mixture on tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup of the cheese and one-fourth of the carnitas. Transfer topped tortilla to the pizza stone. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and edges are golden and crisp.
- Transfer the tortilla to a cutting board; let cool for 1 minute. Top with a bit of the shredded cabbage and cilantro. Serve alongside the salsa and cut each Mexican pizza into wedges before serving.