Sometimes you have to eat biscuits.
Cheddar Bacon Buttermilk Biscuits to be exact. It needs to happen. I’ve had plenty of green smoothies this past week – so now it’s time to be a little decadent.
A few weeks back we went to dinner with some friends at MB Post. It’s this new-ish restaurant down in Manhattan Beach and I’m clinically hooked on it. The food there is like drugs. Well I actually have no idea what drugs are like, but if I were to guess, I’d guess that their food is equally as addictive. The menu is constantly changing so I never know quite what to expect when I’m there. However, one thing that is ALWAYS on the menu, is the Cheddar Bacon Buttermilk Biscuit. And man, is it good.
I’ve now had these a total of 3 times. And they basically blow my mind each time. They are laced with little bits of bacon, plenty of cheddar cheese, and then you dip them in the most unbelievable MAPLE BUTTER of all times.
I tried to make you maple butter for this post but it was an epic failure. The biscuits on the other hand were an epic win. I’m relying on the ever brilliant Adam Pearson to make the maple butter because he can basically make anything. I’ll bring the biscuits Adam. It will be a party.
One more thing before we get down to business. Want to take your biscuit making to a whole new level. Let me introduce you to a little thing called a grater. Why on earth would you need a grater to make biscuits you ask? Because we are going to GRATE the butter into the biscuits so that each and every bite of the biscuits is filled with buttery goodness that is going to make your mouth water. You can thank me later 🙂
Let’s make biscuits, people!!!!
Cheddar Bacon Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter grated
- 4 strips cooked bacon chopped into little pieces
- ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking sode and pepper and stir to combine.
- Using a box grater, grate the butter into the dry mixture.
- Add the chopped bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Then place the entire bowl into the freezer for a few minutes just to keep the butter cold and chill the dry ingredients.
- After about 10 minutes, remove the bowl from the freezer and add in the buttermilk. Carefully stir the mixture until everything comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured cutting board and using your hands, gather it into one large mass.
- Tear of roughly 1/2 cup pieces of dough and carefully mold them into messy looking round. (drop biscuit style) Repeat this for the remaining dough and line them on a parchment lined baking sheet, making sure not to put them too close to one another since they spread a touch when baking.
- Place the entire baking sheet into the fridge and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450? F.
- Place the baking sheet in the hot oven and bake until the biscuits are lightly golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. Serve warm! And with maple butter if you have some or can buy some.