Do you ever go out to eat with someone, order an appetizer and then secretly wish the person you were eating with would disappear so you could eat the entire thing yourself and not have to share it and no one would judge? No? Oh. Weird. Me neither. Whaaaat?
No but really, that happens to me all the time. Especially when that appetizer involves avocado. Obviously. There’s a restaurant in LA that serves guacamole with cheese for an appetizer. They also put mayo in it which I think is sacrilegious and I can’t wrap my head around it. Why on earth would you put mayo in guacamole? It’s blasphemous if you ask me and I refuse to order it because it scares me. Don’t get me wrong. I love me some eggs and olive oil whipped together until it turns into mayo… but in guacamole? That’s where I draw the line.
Anyways, the cheese got me thinking… what would happen if I folded in some freshly shredded sharp cheddar to my all time favorite guacamole recipe? Well, I’ll tell you what would happen…. fireworks.
Cheesy Guacamole is ridiculous, but in the best way possible. And now I’m getting really sad that I didn’t think of this before I wrote my cookbook. I guess there’s just going to have to be another avocado cookbook in my future for all these other avocado recipes that pop into my head. But we seriously can’t go on living without making this Cheesy Guacamole immediately. It’ll make you a better person. And it will make your skin happy, because after all, avocado is really good for your skin. And your hair. Side note – if you have some leftover avocado (is that even possible?) you can totally throw it on your face as a mask with a little greek yogurt and honey and you’re skin will be glowing. I’ll do a post on that soon.
It’s spicy and salty and cheesy and creamy and chunky and basically everything you would ever want to put onto of a freshly fried tortilla chip. It would also be quite wonderful on top of some grilled chicken. Or you could totally eat it with a spoon like me. No shame.
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/8 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and place the avocado flesh into a bowl.
- Add the lime juice, red onion, shredded cheddar, tomatoes, chives, jalapeño, salt and pepper. Mash with a fork until half smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips