Chicken Chimichanga Boats might just be the most fun phrase in the whole wide world. Say it 10 times fast and tell me you’re not smiling!
Chimichangas don’t get enough love – and I’m changing that today. All your favorite ingredients in Chimichangas are loaded into a deep fried Old El Paso Soft Tortilla Taco Boat and then shoveled down your face. It’s perfection. And it’s majorly game day appropriate!
If you’re more of a beef chimichanga consumer, swap out the chicken for carne asada or something like that. The fried flour tortilla shell soaks up all the delicious flavors from the meat and will make you infinitely happy!
Chicken Chimichanga Boats
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
For the Boats
- Old El Paso Mini Soft Tortilla Taco Boats
- Freshly Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Sliced Green Onions
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Refried Beans warmed
For the Chicken
- Combine the vegetable oil, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade. Place it into the fridge and let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Chop the chicken into small bite sized pieces and use as needed.
For the Tacos:
- Deep fry the Old El Paso Mini Soft Tortilla Taco Boats. Remove from the oil and let sit on a paper towel to drain. To assemble, place a few tablespoons of the refried beans in the bottom of the boat. Top with shredded lettuce, a few spoonfuls of the cooked and chopped chicken, and any of the desired toppings… green onions, guacamole, sour cream and chopped tomatoes