Christmas is right around the corner and I swear this is the last sweet treat I will be posting for the next few weeks! I am in a serious sugar coma! But I had to go out with a bang… and these Candy Cane and Coconut Lollipops were the way to go! They are so adorable and they were total hits with all of my friends when I handed them out! After I polish off the rest of these I am starting my new years resolutions early and starting to train for a 1/2 marathon – which will involve me NOT eating all these sweets! Don’t worry – I’ll still bake, I mean I have to for work and for my boyfriend… but I will have to practice some serious self control to not eat it all like normal!
Also, lets just talk about the fact that Christmas is in officially 4 days and I have yet to start shopping. And the best part is… I’m not even worried about it. Somehow I keep imagining myself going to 1 mall and just getting all the presents I need in under 2 hours and then going home to wrap them. (See what I am talking about – sugar coma – I must be delusional from all this sugar)
Anywho, I am a sucker for all these pops that are starting to pick up popularity all over the states! I have even started to see them on menus at different restaurants and of course they are in some fabulous cookbooks too. They are just so damn cute. Being in the festive mood I have been in, I decided to coat these with crushed up candy canes and shredded coconut. The inside is made with a vanilla cake (ok its from a box too – I was feeling a little lazy) and I added a bit of cream cheese frosting to hold it all together! Very similar to what I did for the Devil’s Food Cake Snowballs I made last week.
You can coat the outer layer with whatever you want! I have used graham crackers, sprinkles and other cute little things that I have found at my cake store. Here is a helpful hint – be careful when you walk into those cake stores – they suck you in and before you know it you have spent a few hundred dollars on random little things and you then have some serious baking to do!
Chocolate Candy Cane Lollipops
- 1 box cake - any flavor you want
- 1/2 container of cream cheese frosting
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate
- crushed candy cane
- shredded coconut
- lollipop sticks you can find them at your local craft store
- Bake the cake according to the directions on the package
- Once the cake has cooled, mix in 1/2 package of cream cheese frosting into the cake and roll the cake into small bite sized balls and set aside
- Over a double boiler melt the chocolate
- Prepare 2 bowls with the toppings, the crushed candy canes and shredded coconut in this case
- Using 2 small forks, dip the cake balls into the melted chocolate and let the extra chocolate run off.
- Roll it around in either the coconut or candy cane, or if you feeling really daring roll it around in both!
- Set onto a piece of parchment paper to cool and insert the lollipop stick