Summer is in full swing here in Los Angeles and my birthday is just around the corner. What makes everything even better is that things are looking pretty delicious in the What’s Gaby Cooking kitchen. Take for example, the Mini Crab Cakes with Mango Pepper Relish that I recently made using Farmer’s Garden by Vlasic Dill Chips. These little bite-sized treats were so easy to make and absolutely delicious.
I don’t know about you, but in my eyes, there’s just something about crab cakes and this warmer weather – they seem to go perfectly together. As we savor the last days of spring and dive into summer, these cakes make for a light and simple treat to be enjoyed while eating outside.
Below is the recipe for my Mini Crab Cakes with a Mango Pepper Relish which can be made as an entrée for one or as a party appetizer to be enjoyed with friends. The Farmer’s Garden Dill Chips add the perfect crunch and tang with the crab, and by using the leftover pickle brine in the relish it gives the whole plate the perfect amount of zip.
Whip these up for your next summer soiree and I promise they’ll be the stars of the show!
TIP: To make entertaining prep even easier, you can make the filling in the morning, refrigerate, and when ready to eat just roll the crab filling into balls and grill on a skillet in minutes.
Crab Cakes with Mango Pepper Relish
For the Crab Cakes:
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions green parts only
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped Farmers Garden by Vlasic Dill Chips
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the Mango Pepper Relish:
- 1 cup cubed fresh mango
- ¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions green parts only
- 2-3 tablespoons of brine from Farmers Garden by Vlasic Dill Chips
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients for the crab cakes, besides the crabmeat and butter, and whisk together.
- Add the lump crabmeat, making sure to drain off any excess water from the packaging. Carefully
- Carefully combine crabmeat and filling with your hands, making sure not to break up the lump pieces of crab.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, form the mixture into bite sized mini cakes with your hands.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the crab cakes to the skillet, a few at a time, and sear for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining crab cakes and continue until all crab cakes are cooked. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the ingredients for the mango pepper relish and serve alongside the crab cakes.