Happy Monday!! I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend! We’re starting things off here at What’s Gaby Cooking with a bang this week! A incredible recipe for Crab Cakes with a Tomatillo Avocado Salsa and a cheerful video. Get excited guys – this one is awesome!) So let’s get started. Crab Cakes are easily one of my favorite little indulgences. Pair them with some kind of salsa involving Avocados and you’ve got a winning combination.
For these crab cakes we are going to use lump crab meat. After a recent trip to New Orleans, I finally feel confident in my de-shelling and crab cleaning skills – but if you want to pick up some lump crab meat from your local market, go right ahead. It certainly makes life easier. I’m always super careful when mixing the ingredients together because I don’t want to break up the big juicy pieces of crab. So treat your crab delicately so that when it’s time to take your first bite, you’ll get lots of big pieces of crab in every bite.
The tomatillo avocado salsa that pairs with these crab cakes is literally my favorite condiment of all times. It takes almost no time at all to make, just throw everything in a food processor and away you go. You can add different amounts of heat depending on what you prefer but this salsa is always a winner for me. Tomatillos can sometimes be a little tart so the addition of honey and the California Avocado really smooth out the flavor and make this salsa totally obsession worthy! And, maybe if you’re really lucky, there will be leftover salsa and you can smother it on some nachos, grilled chicken or steak or perhaps in a breakfast burrito.
Here’s how to make them.. and make sure your volume is turned up!
and the recipe…
Crab Cakes with Tomatillo California Avocado Salsa + a Giveaway
- 1/3 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 Avocado
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup white onion diced
- 4 medium Tomatillos halved and roasted
- Stir together first 8 ingredients in large bowl and season with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper.
- Add in crab meat and carefully combine with your hands, making sure not to break up the lump pieces of crab.
- Form into bite sized cakes with your hands.
- Saute in a saute pan with butter, over medium high heat, for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Combine the avocado, lime juice, lime zest, honey, cilantro, onion and roasted tomatillos in a food processor. Blend until fully incorporated. Serve with crab cakes.