I’m pretty excited about this weeks Summer Fest celebration! We are talking all things cucumbers – and I can’t wait to hear what everyone made. While brainstorming my favorite recipe involving cucumber, I realized that you can really use it in so many things! You can toss it into a salad, throw it into a thai flavored pasta dish, make it into a creamy cucumber soup, be super adventurous and make your own pickles, or you can make a kick ass cocktail, like me!
This Cucumber Basil Gimlet starts with making cucumber juice, which is pretty simple, all you have to do is peel an English cucumber, chop it into chunks and throw it into your food processor or blender and blend it until you can’t blend anymore! Then you’re going to put it through a fine mesh strainer and voila – cucumber juice!
But we can’t just add cucumber juice to a cocktail… it has to be jazzed up! So along with the cucumber juice, you’ll need some freshly squeezed lime juice, a basil simple syrup and gin. The result is going to be a perfectly refreshing summer cocktail that you transport you to somewhere fabulous with a beach, and lots of sunshine and perhaps some guacamole.
Cucumber Basil Gimlet
- 1-2 oz basil simple syrup water, sugar, basil
- 1 oz cucumber juice English cucumber
- 3 oz gin
- 1 oz lime juice
- In a pot, combine 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water and 10 basil leave. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let the basil infuse for 20 minutes and until the mixture has cooled. Strain out the basil and set the simple syrup aside.
- Peel a large English cucumber and cut it into chunks. Place it into your food processor and blender and pulse for 2 minutes. Remove mixture and place it into a fine mesh strainer and push out the juice into another bowl. Discard whatever cannot be pushed into the juice. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine 1 oz of basil simple syrup. 1 oz cucumber juice, 3 oz gin, 1 oz of lime juice and ice cubes. Shake shake shake and taste. If it's too strong, add 1 more oz of basil simple syrup. Shake again and serve over ice.