You guys know I’m always on the lookout for new ways to use my favorite homemade basil vinaigrette – and I’ve recently started putting it on a Double Decker Italian Turkey Burger, which was a pretty fantastic idea if I say so myself!
Back in the day when I was first learning to cook, it was ALL about the turkey burgers. They were a twice a week kinda thing in my house and I was obsessed. I would talk about them all the time and once I even applied to be on Next Food Network Star and used my turkey burger as part of the entry form. To say I’m obsessed would be an understatement.
So often, people give turkey burgers a bad wrap, but I think it’s just because they’ve never had an epic burger like this one. Two Butterball Turkey patties that sit on a perfect baked bun slathered with basil vinaigrette and garlic aioli and topped with sliced fontina cheese, roasted red peppers and arugula. All the flavors give you a major mouthful of flavor and the entire double decker burger is one for the record books. Throw these on the menu for your next outdoor summer party, take a little shortcut by using Butterball’s frozen turkey burgers that can be placed directly on the grill, and pour yourself a glass of Rosé sangria. It’s a recipe for the perfect summer night.
Double Decker Italian Turkey Burger
For the Burgers:
- 8 Butterball Turkey Patties
- 4 brioche buns
- 8 slices fontina cheese
- 4 roasted red bell peppers cut into strips
- 4 sliced turkey bacon cooked
- 1 cup arugula
- ¼ cup garlic aioli
For the basil vinaigrette
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves stems removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill over medium high heat. Grill patties, flipping once until cooked through. Add the slices of cheese to each patty and let melt for 45 seconds. Double up the patties.
- Toast the buns on the grill.
- On the bottom of the bun spread a layer of the garlic aioli and a dollop of the basil vinaigrette, place 2 patties on top of that followed by ribbons of red bell peppers, broken up turkey bacon and arugula. Top with the other part of the bun and serve.