We've come a long way in the past 7 years. If you had asked me to eat a mushroom pre-culinary school I would have looked at you like your head was on fire. Oh how times have changed! Now I'm obsessed with all things mushrooms including these Easy Marinated Mushrooms!
Last year while Thomas and I were frolicking around Four Seasons Resort Hualalai for Chef Fest we took a cooking class with Seamus Mullen who schooled me in the art of marinated mushrooms. It was a transformative experience as I've been obsessed ever since. Here's the run down. You get as many delicious wild mushrooms as possible. Throw them all into a bowl and then make an infused spicy olive oil with red pepper flakes, bay leaf and plenty of lemon peel. The hot oil gets poured on top of the mushrooms and then you have to exercise some real patience as you must then wait for 1 whole hour before eating the mushrooms. They need to infuse with flavor and the heat from the oil cooks them the slightest bit. But not to fear - they'll be worth every single minute. I SWEAR!! Whip these up next time you need a fun appetizer and you're golden. OR, make them and serve them up on top of a steak or oven roasted chicken. Or just eat them plain. Or throw them into a salad. The possibilities are endless.
Easy Marinated Mushrooms
- 12 ounces assorted wild mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon peeled
- 4 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- Toasted bread for serving
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, season the mushrooms with salt, pepper and vinegar and set aside while the olive oil is heating up.
- In a medium sized pot, heat the olive oil with the dried red pepper flakes, lemon peel and bay leaf until it reached 150 F on a thermometer. Then pour the olive oil mixture over the mushrooms and cover the bowl with a plate or lid and let rest for 1 hour. The mushrooms will become soft and infused with all the flavor from the olive oil. Drain off most of the olive oil, reserving it for another use and serve the mushrooms on top of toast or as needed.
I bet this would be great with a cheese plate!
Love this recipe, mushroom fans over here!
What a delicious idea!!
These look so incredibly delicious! I love mushrooms and could just eat these on their own!
I'm obsessed with mushrooms too! These look amazing!
I can't wait to make a batch of these mushrooms.
Im in love with mushrooms too, looks great!
Can the mushrooms be stored or must they be served immediately?
they can absolutely be stored for a few days
This looks fantastic! Do you think the marinade would work with whole black pitted olives? I had the best marinated olives from the salad bar on a cruise and have been looking for a recipe to replicate them at home ever since. I haven't had much luck - all that I've tried are too vinegary. Thank you for this recipe!
I bet it would be DELISH