As we get closer and closer to the upcoming holidays, Halloween, Thanksgiving and of course all the fabulousness that occurs in December, I get more excited about throwing parties. Holiday parties are some of my favorite parties to host and cook for, since everything seems to be a little more laid back and willing to let loose and have fun. One thing I never have a shortage of at any kind of party is appetizers. They are a must! You’ve got to have things to nibble on as soon as people walk in the door. And these Spinach Artichoke Cups are always a hit.
Spinach Artichoke Dip is pretty much a staple at most parties, but dip bowls seem to get ugly halfway through the night, especially if you invite me to the party, because I camp out next to the dip and chow down. Ya I admit it. I’m cool with it. So to solve this little messy dilemma, I’ve started making individual spinach artichoke dips which are baked in wonton cups. It’s a one bite fix and the kids love ’em. So in honor of Fall Fest this week, and celebrating all things spinach, I’ve whipped up some of these Spinach Artichoke Cups! Here’s how to make them….
First, you’ll need some wonton wrappers. They are available at almost every grocery store in the refrigerated section. You’ll need 24 for this recipe.
Start by spray a mini muffin tin with baking spray. Each wonton wrapper is then going to get pressed into the muffin mold and then the whole tray goes into the oven for about 10 minutes
You just want to slightly bake them so the wontons hold their shape and turn a golden color.
Once your wonton molds have come out of the oven, you’re going to prep the filling. This is the easy part… in a large bowl just mix together the spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Once everything is combined you just transfer the mixture to a bag and then pipe the mixture into the wonton cups. Each cup will hold about 2-3 tbsp of the spinach artichoke dip. These go back into the oven for 8-10 minutes until the wonton cup is a darker golden brown and the spinach artichoke mixture is just starting to bubble.
And then it’s time to serve these little bites of deliciousness.
Fall Fest: Spinach Artichoke Cups
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 1/2 cup frozen spinach thawed and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup artichoke hearts chopped
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray miniature muffin pan cups lightly with cooking spray. Press 1 wonton wrapper into each cup and lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake about 10 minutes until light golden brown. Remove shells from pan; place on a cooling rack and repeat with remaining wonton wrappers.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, artichoke hearts, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. You can also add 4 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese if you're craving some addition goodness. Mix this together with a fork and transfer to a piping bag or a large zip lock bag.
- If using a zip lock bag, trim a medium hole on one of the bottom corners. Pipe the mixture into the cooled wonton cups until the mixture almost reaches the top.
- Transfer the spinach artichoke cups back into the mini muffin tin and bake for 8-10 minutes until the wonton wrappers turn a darker golden brown and the spinach artichoke dip is warmed. Remove from oven and repeat with remaining cups. Serve immediately.