Happy Friday! This has been one long week… anyone else feel that way? I am so happy that the weekend is finally here and I can relax and finally clean up my kitchen after an entire week of recipe testing. Any volunteers to come help? I promise to cook for you? Maybe even bake something extraordinary?!?
This Friday, Maria and I are teaming up again to bring you delicious and fabulous fall treats – and we are focusing on savory pizza and pastas this week! One of my favorite holidays during the fall, right after Christmas and Thanksgiving, is Halloween. Hmmm… I guess for me that is the only other holiday during the fall… but I digress. This weeks recipe was inspired by Halloween, can you tell, I mean just look at those colors! I can’t wait for my Halloween costume this year… I can’t tell you what I am going to be yet… but it is going to be awesome.
Now I know know your thinking… what the heck is that black stuff on that fork. Well… its pasta! Not just any kind of pasta… squid ink pasta! Again, I know what you’re probably thinking (because its the same thing my mom said when I told her what I was making) OMG That sounds totally gross! To be totally honest its not gross at all… and it tastes like 100% normal pasta minus the fact that its black. It doesn’t taste like squid, or the ocean or any other form of sea creature and it cooks just like normal pasta too except for the fact that the water turns black!
See… it even looks like normal pasta! Wouldn’t this just be an awesome dish to serve at a Halloween Party? I think so! Squid Ink is something that you can buy at a specialty restaurant supply store or online. I happen to order mine at the Gourmet Food Store. You can also go ahead and order squid ink pasta if you don’t want to make it yourself – either way its going to be a fun treat for a Halloween party!
Once you have the pasta situation under control you just need a few simple ingredients like these beautiful baby orange cherry tomatoes. I picked some up at the farmers market this week and ate half of them before I even got home!!
Fall Fridays: Squid Ink Pasta with Roasted Orange Tomatoes
- 1 lb Squid Ink pasta
- 2 cups Orange Cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- chives chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente, making sure to break the pasta up while cooking so it doesn't stick together.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, coat the bottom with olive oil and heat over medium-high. Saute the shallot and the garlic cloves until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until the skin starts to burst. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta from the water and add to the skillet. Mix all the ingredients together making sure to coat the pasta in all of the garlic-y oil goodness! Taste for seasonings and adjust if needed. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.
- Talk about a simple recipe - this one obviously isn't too complicated - it's more about the WOW factor. And kid would LOVE to see this on Halloween as well as some other goulish foods - like eyeballs or something fabulous like that!
Be sure to check out Maria’s Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Rosemary