Shisito Peppers on a Stick. You should totally do this. It’s just about the easiest recipe of all times and it’s so freaking good.
It involves just a few seconds of prep work… like threading a bunch of Shisito peppers onto a water soaked skewer and then drizzling them with a bit of sesame oil and then throwing them on a hot grill for a few moments on each side.
Once the Shisito peppers are blistered on each side from the heat, you can remove them from the grill, drizzle some soy sauce on top and throw them on the dinner table for you to enjoy.
Like really. Does it get easier than that? I don’t think so!
I was making these like hot cakes pre-wedding because they were so easy and Shisito peppers are all over the place right now! I tend to pick them up from the farmers market when I see them, but you can usually find these peppers at an asian market too! You could also use Padron peppers too if those are more readily available in your neck of the woods. (They’ll just need a few extra minutes on the grill because they are bigger)
Shisito peppers can be served on a stick as a fun appetizer, or you can use them as a side dish on their own! If I serve them as a side, I’ll usually pair it with an asian grilled flank steak or some salmon and maybe some steamed quinoa or rice. I mean, there is all that delicious soy sauce on the plate that needs to be mopped up with something, right!??!
And if you’ve never had a Shisito before, not to worry, they are pretty mild and only 1 in every 10-15 has a bit of heat. But it’s nothing crazy. And I’ve found that the more blistered and cooked ones, tend to be mild all the time. But that’s just me, I could be getting very very lucky!
Grilled Shisito Peppers on a Stick
- 1/2 lb shisito pepper
- 1-2 tbsp sesame oil
- soy sauce to taste
- Soak some long wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- While the skewers are soaking, prepare your indoor or outdoor grill to medium heat.
- Once the skewers are soaked, thread the shisito peppers onto the skewers. I typically can fit about 15 shisito peppers per skewer. Drizzle the skewers with sesame oil and carefully place them over direct heat on the grill.
- Grill the peppers for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are blistered and start to char. Flip the skewers and repeat the process for the opposite side.
- Once the peppers are cooked on both sides, remove them from the grill. The skin should be fairly blistered all around and the peppers skin should be soft.
- Drizzle them with soy sauce and serve immediately.