Grilled Vegetable Pizza! Grilled pizza dough topped with all the cheese and roasted veggies… it’s basically the perfect fall pizza.
It’s another edition of the WGC Pizza Night and you’re not going to want to miss this one.
I’m not ready to give up my grill just yet. It’s still nice in some parts of the country and I love that charred flavor that it brings to a dish. Plus the farmers markets in LA right now are in that weird transitional time when there is still tons of tomatoes and zucchini, but also winter squash is starting to make an appearance. So that’s how this Grilled Vegetable Pizza came about. It’s a grilled pizza crust topped with plenty of roasted veggies (something that I’ve been making on repeat to throw into salads for lunch)! And instead of the traditional mozzarella cheese, I changed it up and went fontina because it’s SO much more flavorful and really works with roasted veg.
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 12 ounces baby eggplant, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- Fresh mint leaves
- Fresh basil leaves
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Brush the grill with a bit of oil.
- Brush eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill eggplant 4 minutes on each side or until tender; place in a bowl. Grill zucchini 3 minutes on each side or until tender; add to eggplant. Place pepper quarters, skin side down, on grill rack; grill 6 minutes or until blistered. Place peppers in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel peppers; add to vegetable mixture. Coarsely chop vegetables. Add garlic to vegetables; toss to combine.
- Shape the dough into a circular shape while on a clean floured surface. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes and then re-form to make sure it's as big as you'd like. Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured rimless baking sheet, or pizza peel. Transfer the dough over to the grill, and slide the pizza dough directly onto the grill. Grill the dough for about 2 minutes with the lid closed. Using a pair of tongs, lift the lid, and flip the dough over onto the other side and cook for about 2 minutes more. The dough should be golden brown with grill marks on both sides.
- Spread the Pizza Sauce evenly over top side of crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange vegetable mixture evenly over sauce; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Top with cheese. Return pizza to grill rack, and grill for 4 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Sprinkle with mint and basil and serve.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!