I mean, let’s get right down to business here. It’s Friday, which means there are less than 12 hours until the work day is over and it’s time to par-tay for the weekend. And weekends are taken to a whole new level now that it’s officially summer time!
Summer is all about the BBQ. And the summer cocktails. And the beach. But let’s tackle one of those at a time.
Today let’s talk meat. And the grill. It’s kind of a big deal. It’s hot. Fast. And no clean up. And I like it. (okay well maybe there is a little clean up involved, but hello, that’s what my future hubby is for, right?!?)
It’s basically my solution to all dinner parties during the summer months. You can grill meat. You can grill salad. You can grill appetizers. And you can freaking grill dessert. Heck yes, dessert. I’ll go there next week.
So last weekend we had a few dinner parties lined up. I was feeling snazzy so I ran on down to Lindy and Grundy, my all time favorite butcher shop, and picked up some chorizo sausage. Ah-mazing. Here’s a little secret… if you have awesome butchers in your town, become friends with them. They are rockstars and will teach you lots of fun things you never knew. Word.
So on my way home from the butcher shop, I decided we were going to jazz up these chorizo sausages with, yup, you guess it, guacamole. Hells yes. Thank you very much. It was brilliant. The chorizo was spicy and smoky and the guacamole toned it down just a touch with it’s creamy texture. Throw it all on a toasted hot dog bun and pour yourself a cocktail, kick your shoes up and call it a day.
Also, with Fourth of July right around the corner, these would be kinda perfect for a big backyard BBQ celebration. Just saying.
Happy Friday Everyone!! Hope you’ve got a little something fun planned this weekend!
Guacamole Chorizo Sausage Dogs
- 4 mexican chorizo sausages
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- quartered cherry tomatoes for topping
- crumbled cotija cheese for topping
- Preheat your charcoal or gas grill and let it heat up
- Place the 4 sausages in a medium sized skillet with about 1/3 inch of water and place over a burner on high heat. Let the sausages cook for a 2-3 minutes and then flip them on the other side. The water should be almost evaporated before you remove the sausage from the skillet.
- Place the sausages on the grill and let them char for about 2 minutes on each side to finish cooking and to get charred grill marks. Remove the sausages from the grill, tent with a piece of foil and set aside.
- Slather the hot dog buns with the room temperature butter and place them on the heated grill for a few minutes until the buns are golden brown and toasted. Remove the buns with a pair of tongs and set aside.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin, and place the avocado flesh on a cutting board. Cut the avocado in [1/2]-inch cubes and transfer the avocado to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the jalapeño pepper, and fresh lime juice to the bowl. Mash everything together with a fork until half chunky and half creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place equal amounts on each hot dog in the bun.
- Sprinkle the Guacamole Chorizo Sausage Dogs with some cherry tomatoes and queso fresco and serve immediately.