I have and will always be a sucker for Gelato. I could eat it for every meal every day and a few years ago when I was in Italy, I literally did just that. I would have a double scooped cone with chocolate and strawberry gelato for lunch, snack, and dessert! The chocolate always had to be the bottom scoop so when it melted I was left with a chocolate filled cone to eat. I think I need to go back to Italy asap 🙂
After carefully contemplating what I was going to do for my Daring Bakers Challenge this month I decided to experiment with a few different flavors of gelato. Ultimately I decided on this Mango-Ginger Gelato that is totally refreshing and delicious.
Mango – Ginger Gelato Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 ripe mangoes peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Continue to let simmer until the sugar is completly dissolved and it looks syrupy - then let cool to room temp.
- Place the diced mango in a food processor and add the cooled syrup, ginger, lime juice and salt. Blend until super smooth. Pour the mango puree into the ice cream maker and press start. Once it starts churning, slowly pour the heavy cream into the mixter so it combines with the mango puree. Once frozen, transfer into freezer safe containers and freeze for 2 hours.
Trust me when I say that this recipe is a keeper! It makes me want to fly to Italy right now and eat Gelato all day long!