Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispies are layers of ganache, smooth peanut butter and browned butter rice krispie treats!
I feel pretty strongly about the ratio of marshmallows to cereal when one is making rice krispie treats. The package says one thing, but I’m a big believer in extra marshmallows. I want each and every bite to be infused with marshmallowy goodness and I also want to have a little extra oomph in there therefore, brown butter is a must. Brown butter is just kinda awesome. Wouldn’t you agree?
A few weeks back I was at one of my newest favorite LA eateries, Thyme Cafe, and we ordered something similar to this for dessert. It was easy to fall in love with the mixture of flavors from all the different layers. I came home and whipped up a batch and then promptly made Thomas take them to work so I wouldn’t eat them all in one sitting. It was a serious possibility.
Also, big news people, I’m into peanut butter. Whaaaaaat?! Who am I? Okay so truth be told, I’m way more into almond butter… but peanut butter is growing on me. Just a few months ago I couldn’t even eat a peanut butter cookie without making a face. I’m happy to report that after a tremendous amount of peer pressure from my husband, I’m finally coming around. So get pumped for more peanut butter treats on the blog! I mean, my husband eats a piece of peanut butter toast every morning as part of his breakfast, it was only a matter of time before I changed my ways.
So let’s all make a batch of these Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats this weekend and indulge a bit. It’s the right thing to do.
ALSO. Big giant Happy Birthday wishes to my dad!! Love you to the moon and back 🙂 Thanks for being the best dad and always supporting me!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispies
- 5 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 10- ounce bag marshmallows
- 1 stick butter
- 1 16 ounce jar smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces chocolate chips
- flakey salt to garnish
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium high heat. Once the butter is completely melted, continue to whisk it until it starts to bubble and then starts to turn golden brown. Keep your eyes in it, as it's super easy to burn it when you're making brown butter.
- Once the butter turns a golden brown color, and smells nutty, reduce the heat to medium and add the marshmallows to the brown butter. Stir the marshmallows until completely melted and then add the rice krispie cereal. Using a wooden spoon, stir everything together until evenly combined.
- Spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray and transfer the rice krispie treats mixture to the dish. I like to spray my spatula with a bit of non-stick spray and then use it to evenly press down the treats into a uniform layer.
- Spread the entire jar of peanut butter on top of the brown butter rice krispies and then transfer it into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill.
- Meanwhile, heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan until just barely starting to boil. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Let the chocolate chips melt for a few moments, and then whisk the mixture together until smooth.
- Remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator and pour on the ganache. Spread the ganache on top and then place the entire dish back into the fridge for at least another hour.
- Dust with flakey salt before cutting and serving.