Pizza is a weekly thing at my house. We mix it up all the time and use different sauces like BBQ sauce, red sauce, pesto, garlic infused olive oil, along with different toppings like burrata, proscuitto, pineapple – the possibilities are endless. But it’s pretty safe to say that we make pizza about once a week. Lately I’ve been wanting to change things up a bit so one day, (when I had an extra few minutes on my hands to whip up some savory cream cheese infused pie dough created by the ever so talented Matt and Adam over at Matt Bites!) I made these pepperoni pizza stuffed hand pies. They were a hit! I think my boyfriend came home and promptly consumed about 10 of these. It’s hard not to want to eat them – they are just so dang cute – and kids and adults are sure to love them!
These little pizza hand pies are pretty easy too! All you have to do it make some pie crust, chill it for about an hour, cut out some circles and stuff it with little bitty cubes of mozzarella and pepperoni and a little dollop of pizza sauce. Then seal them up with your thumbs, throw on a little egg wash and pop them into the oven for about 20 minutes and the pizza stuffed hand pies are ready to be devoured.
Pepperoni Pizza Hand Pies
- 8 oz cream cheese cut into chunks
- 1 cup butter cut into chunks
- 2 1/2 cups AP Flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup cubed mozzarella
- 1/4 cup cubed pepperoni
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a food processor combine the cream cheese, butter, AP flour and sea salt. Pulse until the mixture comes together. Remove the dough from the food processor and divide into 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Once the dough has chilled, remove from the plastic wrap and roll out on a floured surface till the dough is a little less than 1/4 of an inch think.
- Using a large cookie cutter, about 5 inches in diameter, cut circles out of the dough. You can roll out the excess dough and repeat this process until no dough remains.
- In the center of each circle, add 1 tsp of pizza sauce, 2 tsp of mozzarella, and 2 tsp of pepperoni along with a sprinkle of oregano.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and the milk to make the egg wash.
- Egg wash the edges of the circle and fold over to close the hand pie. Using your thumb, seal the edges closed.
- Place the hand pies on a piece of parchment paper and brush the egg wash mixture over the tops. Cut a thin slice into the top of each hand pie as a vent.
- Bake the hand pies for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown and the crust appears flaky.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with a side of pizza sauce if desired.