Remember a couple of days ago I made these totally decadent Double Chocolate Chip Cookies? Well, I told you I was going to do something special with them… and here it is! Homemade Chocolate Flecked Mint Chip Ice Cream sandwiches in between 2 deliciously decadent double chocolate chip cookies. OMG.
They are heaven. And they are perfect this week because it is HOT HOT HOT! And Ice Cream is always the perfect way to cool down. It’s too hot to even walk outside to my pool… well maybe not… maybe I am just being a little lazy. The walk to my freezer is significantly shorter 🙂
I am fairly certain that you need to make these IMMEDIATELY. So… check out the cookie recipe here and then get ready to make some mouth watering ice cream!
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk (really you should use whole milk, but I never have any in the fridge so I improvised)
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 drops green food coloring - more if your feeling crazy!
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate, shaved
- In a pot combine the cream, milk, and mint leaves. Warm this mixture over medium high heat until it barely comes to a simmer, about 5 minutes. While waiting, combine the egg yolks, sugar and salt in a heat proof bowl. Whisk like you have never whisked before until the mixture turns a pale yellow and doubles in volume... roughly 2 minutes.
- Remove the cream mixture from the stove and while whisking, pour about 1 cup of the cream mixture into the egg mixture. Then put the egg cream mixture back into the saucepan and place over medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture gets thick and custardy. BEWARE - don't let it come to a boil.
- Ok... next we need to set up an ice bath. Pour the custard through a sieve into a bowl to remove the mint leaves. Place the bowl in the ice bath. Add the food coloring. Refrigerate for about 2 hours until cold.
- Once cool, remove from the fridge and pour that bowl of custardy goodness into your ice cream machine and let it work its magic. About 3 minutes before it is done add the chocolate flecks! Then take all that ice cream and put it into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours before digging in! (I ate a bit right out of the machine... I couldn't wait... it was just to make sure the ice cream was edible... and that I wouldn't poison anyone...duh)
- Then all you need to do is scoop a few scoops onto the bottom cooking, place the top cookie on top (obviously), use both hands to handle this masterpiece and take a big, cold, delicious, creamy bite!
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!