I’m all about the summer party. It’s basically what I look forward to all week and then when the weekend hits, it’s time to get things moving!
Backyard BBQ’s are my go-to for summer entertaining. I used to cook for giant BBQ’s when I was a private chef. Giant! Like 75 people. By myself! The key to an awesome BBQ is prepping ahead of time so you’re not crazy when you have friends over. Which is why this Sweet Tea BBQ chicken is utter perfection!
Gold Peak Tea has an epic Sweet Tea variety that makes for a perfect brine! I just added a bit of salt along with some aromatics and let the chicken brine overnight. Then, when it’s time to grill, the chicken just goes straight onto the BBQ and it’s ready in a matter of minutes. Simple, delicious and majorly gorgeous – I promise this is perfect for any of your upcoming cookouts!
Sweet Tea BBQ Chicken
- 12 bone-in/skin on chicken drumsticks
- 2-18.5 ounce bottles Gold Peak Sweet Tea
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra as needed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus extra as needed
- 2 lemons halved
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large zip top bag, combine the chicken, Gold Peak Sweet Tea, shallot, garlic, olive oil and salt. Squeeze the halved lemons into the marinade and then add the lemons themselves. Carefully zip the top closed and place into a baking dish. Transfer the baking dish into the refrigerator and marinate for 12-24 hours.
- Once marinated, carefully remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade.
- Drizzle the marinated chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush an outdoor grill with olive oil to coat the grate. Turn the grill on to medium high heat, about 425 degrees F. Using a pair of tongs, place the chicken onto the grill and cook, turning as needed to cook both sides, until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and transfer to a serving platter. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with extra lemon wedges as needed.