While I was daydreaming recipes to create for this Tabasco Challenge, I was simultaneously dreaming about my trip to Chile. And while Chile isn’t the actual birthplace of quinoa, it’s a huge part of the food culture down here so I thought I’d combine 2 of my favorite things – Tabasco and Quinoa – to make this super addictive Tabasco Quinoa Chicken Bake.
It’s basically a casserole of my favorite things. Quinoa, cheese, shredded chicken, refried beans from the recipe I posted earlier today, crushed tomatoes, and of course, Tabasco!
Everything is cooked, mixed together, doused with cheese and hot sauce and then baked until the cheese is bubbling and beautiful.
It’s seriously one for the record books. Another great thing about this one is that is makes excellent leftovers. And because I was feeling some major guilt about leaving Thomas for 10 days, I whipped up a giant batch of this and then divvied it up in little containers so he could have a little bit of delicious goodness while I was down south in Chile.
So for those of you who spend Sundays cooking up a storm so you have a bit of a lighter workload for the rest of the week – this one is PERFECT for you! It feeds a crowd, re-heats beautifully, and who doesn’t want a little spiced cheesy quinoa bake for dinner and then again for leftovers the following day.
I present to you, your new BFF, the Tabasco Quinoa Chicken Bake
Tabasco Quinoa Chicken Bake
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided
- ½ cup refried beans
- 1 ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Original Tabasco
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped scallions as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions. Once cooked, remove from heat and transfer the cooked quinoa into a large bowl.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, refried beans, crushed tomatoes, shredded chicken and the Tabasco. Season the entire mixture with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Lightly spray a medium sized baking dish with non-stick spray, and transfer the mixture into the baking dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and bake for about 20 -25 minutes until the top layer of cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and garnish with green onions and serve.