German Potato Salad
My mom's famous German Potato Salad!! No mayo here - just bright flavors to compliment any main course!
Servings: 6 people
- 3 pounds baby new potatoes halved or quartered
- 8 ounces pancetta small diced (or bacon)
- 1 large red onion diced
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 bunch chives thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender and remove from heat, drain and set aside in a bowl.
While the potatoes are cooking, place the pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the diced onion to the pancetta grease, and cook over medium heat until browned.
Carefully add the vinegar and mustard to the onions and cook for 2 minutes and turn off the heat. Whisk in the oil and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the hot dressing to the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Fold in the pancetta, green onions, chives, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- I love this hot or room temp, and even eat the leftovers cold. That makes this SO easy to serve at any meal!
Bacon is a great substitute for pancetta.
Sliced shallots are a great swap for red onion in this recipe.
If you don't have champagne vinegar on hand use white wine vinegar as a substitute.
Calories: 455kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 0.05g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 1124mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 3mg