Steamed Clams with Garlic and Chives
This super easy Steamed Clams with Garlic and Chives situation is the ultimate summer al fresco dinner!
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4-5 pounds of clams Littlenecks or Manilla, scrubbed, rinsed and cleaned
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives finely chopped
- 2 lemons
- Grilled baguette for serving
Combine the butter and olive oil in a large shallow skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots and the red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes until garlic is fragrant but not burned.
Add the wine and increase the heat to medium-high to bring the wine to a simmer.
Add the clams, cover with the lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened. Discard any clams that are still closed. Add the chives and juice from 1 lemon and give the pot a quick stir.
Transfer the clams and the cooking liquid to a large serving bowl and serve with pieces of toasted bread to soak up the cooking liquid and extra lemons on the side.