Classic Italian Tiramisu
This Classic Italian Tiramisu is seriously one of the easiest desserts to make! It's picture perfect with a sweet mascarpone filling, espresso dipped lady fingers and all the cocoa powder on top!
Servings: 8 people
- 1/4 cup Dutch Processed cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup brewed espresso (optional to add a few tablespoons of dark rum)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 large egg yolks, cold (I use pasteurized eggs)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 8-ounce tubs mascarpone cheese, chilled
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 2-3 dozen hard ladyfinger cookies
Whisk together the cocoa powder, espresso and vanilla in a bowl and set aside
In a mixer or using a hand mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Add in the salt, mascarpone cheese and continue to whip until smooth. Add the chilled cream and continue to whip, until light, creamy, smooth and can hold a soft peak.
Dunk each ladyfinger in the espresso mixture to absorb the liquid and start to line a 7x11 oval baking dish with the cookies. Top the first layer of cookies with ½ of the whipped mascarpone mixture and use the back of a metal spoon to spread it into an even layer. Dust with cocoa powder. Repeat for another layer and then finish by dusting with cocoa powder on top. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.