Adam's Green Bean Salad
One of my besties Adam made us this insanely delicious Green Bean Salad recently and I was obsessed!! It's the perfect side or salad for spring. Note this also works great on the grill. Place blanched beans in a grill basket, drizzle with olive oil and char over high heat instead of using a skillet.
Servings: 6 people
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Parsley, Chives and Parmesan to garnish
For the Beans
- 2 pounds Romano beans, ends trimmed (or green beans or a mixture of both)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (freshly roasted or toasted)
Make the vinaigrette by combining all the ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake to combine, or whisk in a bowl. Add in 1/2 cup walnuts and set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Once the water is boiling blanch the beans in the water, 3 minutes for larger beans, 1 minute for smaller thinner beans, and then quickly transfer to the bowl with the ice water to stop the cooking.
Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Drain and dry the blanched beans. Working in batches, char the beans in the hot skillet. No oil needed. Turning often to char evenly.
Remove the beans to a large bowl and toss in the vinaigrette. Serve topped with remaining 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, fresh parsley, chives, shaved parmesan and lots of salt and pepper