Spring Mushroom Polenta with Basil Vinaigrette
A springy version of everyones favorite polenta dish from my cookbook with caramelized mushrooms and basil vinaigrette
Servings: 4 people
- 1 recipe basil vinaigrette
- 2 lbs wild mushrooms, torn into large pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups whole milk, plus more as needed can you an unflavored unsweetened nut milk if you prefer
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces goat cheese, divided
- basil to garnish
Make Basil Vinaigrette and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread into an even layer on sheet tray and roast until just golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, bring milk to a simmer. Slowly whisk in semolina flour. Continue whisking until thickened, about 2 minutes. If too thick, continue to add milk until desired consistency. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted, then add 6 ounces of the goat cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer polenta to a serving bowl. Top with mushrooms, remaining goat cheese and basil vinaigrette. Garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately.