It’s soup day here on WGC and this Curry Lentil Soup is going to go right up there with your other favs… I can guarantee it! No questions asked!
You didn’t think I’d let the first week of fall go by without a soup did you? I think not!! Just disregard the fact that it is literally 90 degrees in LA today… it’s fall on the calendar and we’re going with it. A few weeks ago I asked for your favorite soups on my IG stories and OMG soup is a hot topic… literally.
I got every answer under the sun. Most of which we already have here on WGC over in the soup section – but one that kept popping up was a lentil soup! Random, I know, but apparently everyone loves it. I’ll be honest, I was hesitant at first because I was somewhat skeptical of lentils as a kid – but mix it with coconut milk and curry and a TON of garlic and ginger and I could eat this every day.
This Curry Lentil Soup is the perfect soup no matter who you’re feeding. It’s naturally vegan, incredibly filling and packed with flavor from the curry and the coconut milk. All in all… it’s perfection.
You can use any color lentils you have on hand! And some goes for curry powder… red, yellow and green all work in this recipe interchangeably! The rest is pretty self explanatory. If you’re anti-cilantro then use some chives or basil on top! Just promise me that you won’t forget to garnish with the lime juice. That fresh pop of flavor really makes this dish sing!
Curry Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- lime wedges for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the lentils and cook for about 1 minute more, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, 2½ cups water and season with salt and pepper. Set aside a few tablespoons of the coconut milk and add remaining coconut milk to dutch oven.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft but not mushy, 20-25 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with reserved coconut milk and top with plenty of cilantro. Serve with lots of lime wedges.