In my quest to figure out the best way to use pantry staples – let me introduce you to Skillet Cheesy Chickpeas!!
Last week I got a LOT of questions about what to do with a can of chickpeas. Usually my answer would be duh, hummus. But I decided to expand my horizons and make a recipe for Skillet Cheesy Chickpeas and OMG IT’S BETTER THAN HUMMUS. Truly. The recipe is meant to serve 4, but my husband and I took it down all my ourselves for dinner one night it’s that good.
These Skillet Cheesy Chickpeas are reminiscent of chicken parmesan but with no parmesan. They take minutes to make, almost no prep work, and can be served on their own or with a side of bread so you can soak up all these cheesy tomato goodness at the bottom of the skillet!
And I used a traditional jarred tomato sauce (Rao’s) but you can use anything you want or any flavor. Tomato Basil, Vodka Sauce, Arriabatta, whatever you have on hand!
Need more recipes on what to do with a can of chickpeas:
- California Cobb
- Green Goddess Hummus
- Loaded Falafel Salad
- Power Salad
- Summer Hummus
- Calabrian Chili Hummus
- The Best Basic Hummus
Stuck in a dinner rut? Looking for new delicious dinner ideas? Check out my roundup of 50+ easy dinner ideas here.
Skillet Cheesy Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella
- basil and bread to garnish / serve
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and saute for 3-5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine, followed by the marinara sauce, boiling water to thin it out and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shredded cheese on top and transfer to the broiler to melt the cheese until bubbly and golden. Season with salt and pepper and basil and serve with chunky bread on the side. Also excellent served over roasted chicken!