My love for hummus runs deep. I’ve told you guys all about my perfect hummus recipe before. It’s smooth and airy and perfectly seasoned. Today it’s getting a facelift to become Loaded Hummus!
I guess technically it’s not a face lift because we aren’t doing major surgery… but we are giving it a bit of a makeover. Recently I was introduced to all these toppings you can put on hummus and essentially it’s a salad / hummus combo that you eat with pita chips and then live happily ever after!! After you’re done peeling the chickpeas (TRUST ME IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE) you whip up the hummus and then top it with red onions, feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, toasted chickpeas and some herbs. It’s not only gorgeous but a total winner!
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and peeled
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, more as needed
- 2-3 small cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- Water as needed
- ½ cup chickpeas, dried and roasted until just toasty
- thinly sliced sliced red onion
- fresh parsley
- freshly crumbed feta
- pomegranate seeds
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas by themselves for 1 minute until powdery clumps form.
- Scrape down the sides and blend again until everything is the same consistency.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt and blend until smooth. With the machine running, drizzle in 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until you get very smooth, light and creamy mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, garlic or lemon if needed.
- To serve, top it with all the toppings sprinkled over the top, drizzle with olive oil and serve with freshly baked pita chips.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!