I may be obsessed with a lot of things. Guacamole, risotto, different pasta dishes etc. But let me tell you something…. this is the honest to god best stuffing recipe in the entire world. Rustic Herb Skillet Stuffing for everyone!
I kid you not. I could and would eat this every single day for an entire month if given the chance. The flavors will rock your world.
Last year was my first year with this stuffing. I made it not once, not twice, but three times before actual Thanksgiving. And each and every time I made it, it was devoured. All of the herbs and seasonings work perfectly together to create an out of this world stuffing. The toasted bread cubes and nice and golden brown and then soaked with the buttery herb mixture and then baked until perfection. I’ve made a few tweaks this year and it brings a smile to my face every time I take a bite! I wish Thanksgiving was once a month so I had an excuse to make stuffing more frequently. In fact, I don’t know why I don’t make stuffing more frequently, especially this once, because it’s life changing. Cross my heart. Make it. You’ll thank me later.
PS – are you thinking of putting this on your Thanksgiving menu? Check out the full What’s Gaby Cooking menu here along with the master prep schedule to keep things organized and on track!
And if you need more Thanksgiving Ideas check out this roundup of 80+ Thanksgiving Recipes and Ideas
Rustic Herb Stuffing
- 1 loaf country-style French bread with crust cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread bread on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bread is dry, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Melt 10 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and celery and saute for 5-6 minutes. Add green onions, all the herbs, garlic, salt and pepper and sauté until celery is tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously grease a large skillet or baking dish. Place bread cubes in very large bowl. Add warm vegetable mixture; toss to combine.
- Whisk eggs and 3/4 cup broth in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to stuffing and toss to coat. Mix in Parmesan.
- Add more broth (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) to stuffing if dry. Transfer to skillet or baking dish. Cover with buttered foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake until golden, about 30 minutes.