A few days ago I asked on social if you’d rather have Cornbread Stuffing or Sourdough Stuffing on the big day! The results were right smack down the middle, so I decided to whip up an amazing Cornbread Stuffing recipe for you!
Here’s the deal – call it what you will, it’s stuffing to some, dressing to others, but the bottom line is recipe is freaking delicious. If you’re in the cornbread camp when it comes to this infamous side dish for Thanksgiving, you will not be disappointed. And for everyone who’s been asking if they can add sausage to my other stuffing recipes – you sure can! Or you can just make this!! I’ve got a handful of other stuffings recipes over in the Thanksgiving index – but for all your cornbread lovers out there – this one is delish!
And before anyone asks – I buy my cornbread either pre-made from the store or I use a store-bought mix! I’m not above a little bit of help from the market before the big feast!! Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage for EVERYONE!!
A few FAQ’s when it comes to Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage:
Do you always add eggs to your Cornbread Stuffing: YES! It very important as this binds everything together.
Does the cornbread need to be stale before making this stuffing: no need. That’s why I toast it for a few minutes to dry it out. You can skip the toasting step if you cube it up a few days ahead of time and let it dry out naturally.
Can you omit the cheese: you sure can! Just another way to bind everything together though.
PS – are you thinking of putting this on your Thanksgiving menu? Check out the full What’s Gaby Cooking menu here along with the master prep schedule to keep things organized and on track!
And if you need more Thanksgiving Ideas check out this roundup of 80+ Thanksgiving Recipes and Ideas
Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage
- 6 cups cubed cornbread (I used a store-bought mix)
- 1/2 lb sausage
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage
- 3 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- To toast cornbread, bake at 400°F for 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove and reduce oven heat to 325°F
- Cook sausage, celery and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain excess fat. Spoon into a large bowl.
- Add cornbread, herbs and seasoning; mix lightly. Add broth and egg; mix just until blended. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Spoon into lightly greased 2-quart casserole or soufflé dish; cover and bake for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated, uncovering after 35 minutes to brown the top. Serve as needed.