Thanksgiving is top of mind all month long and today it’s all about this Wild Mushroom Stuffing.
Today we’re talking about this Wild Mushroom Stuffing. If you’re a long time reader of What’s Gaby Cooking, you know that stuffing and I are best friends. FOREVER. It’s my favorite part about Thanksgiving and I love this recipe. Hands down the best stuffing recipe EVER created and I’ll never deviate from it. I drizzle a bit of my homemade gravy on top and go to town. It’s earthy with all the mushrooms, fresh because of all the variety of herbs and perfectly salty with the addition of Parmesan cheese. You really can’t go wrong. AND… because I know not all of you are as obsessed with mushrooms as me (I’m looking at you mom!) you can easily omit those when whipping this up and it will still be a mega star! AND if you have vegetarians in your family, they will love the addition of shrooms!
PS – are you thinking of putting this on your Thanksgiving menu? Check out the full What’s Gaby Cooking menu here along with the master prep schedule to keep things organized and on track!
- 1 loaf country-style French bread with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 14-15 ounces)
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound wild mushrooms
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ - 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable stock if you want to keep it vegetarian)
- 4 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread the cubed bread on large rimmed baking sheet and transfer into the ove. Bake until bread is dry, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and saute until golden, about 7 minutes. Add the celery, green onions, various herbs, garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for 3-4 minutes more.
- Generously grease a large baking dish.
- Place the bread cubes in large bowl. Add the warm vegetable mixture; toss to combine.
- Whisk the eggs and 3/4 cup broth in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to stuffing and toss to coat. Mix in Parmesan.
- Add more broth (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) to stuffing if it still looks dry. Transfer to skillet or baking dish. Cover with buttered foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!