A Sweet Potato Gratin layered with Gouda, Thyme and Parmesan cheese! It's the perfect fall/winter side dish.
While I have a au gratin potatoes recipe out there, we're having a mega sweet potato moment in our house! Poppy is obsessed with them. Thomas is obsessed with them. I am obsessed with them. The amount we buy on a weekly basis is truly wild. They are one of the most versatile vegetables to cook with. I've made them into countless recipes here on WGC and today we're turning them into a Sweet Potato Gratin!
If you know me, you know that sweet potatoes with marshmallows are a hard pass for me. But I LOVE having sweet potatoes in some form on the Thanksgiving table. This year, they are coming in the form of this gratin!
Layers of thinly sliced sweet potatoes mixed with 2 kinds of cheese, some heavy cream and seasonings makes this one of the easiest dishes to make!
Here's what you need for the Sweet Potato Gratin:
- Sweet Potatoes - any variety would be delish to be honest, but I prefer the orange variety. Peel the skin and you're in business. I like to slice these with a mandolin to make it quick and uniform.
- Heavy cream + Milk - this is the liquid that will help the potatoes cook
- Salt, Pepper and Thyme - we need all of these to season these to perfection
- Gouda - if you want aged gouda, be my guest.... but you need gouda to make this the ultimate sweet potato gratin!
- Parmesan - to add a bit of saltiness!
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Sweet Potato Gratin
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick on a mandoline
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme roughly chopped
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 ½ cups shredded Gouda (I love the Roth Gouda wedges shredded
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a cast iron skillet.
- Mix together the cream and milk and set aside.
- In the skillet, arrange the potatoes in an even layer. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the cream mixture and season with salt, pepper, thyme and dust with some of the cheeses. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cream, seasoning with salt and pepper, to form 6-8 layers. Press down on the layers to totally submerge the sweet potatoes in the cream mixture and top with additional cheese if needed.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue baking until the cream has been absorbed, the potatoes are cooked through, and the top is browned, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.