Want to know one of my favorite parts about Thanksgiving? I mean, besides the food (hello, Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes), the family and the leftovers? I get to stay in my pajamas all day long. There is lots of lounging around to be done, and I’m ready for it!
Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes at Thanksgiving. To be totally honest, I’ve always been a little scared of the sweet potatoes and marshmallow side dish, I just can’t wrap my head around it. I think marshmallows belong on s’mores! And if you’re of the same mindset as me – you should probably make this S’more Pudding Pie for the Thanksgiving dessert table!
So as another sweet potato option, I started to make these mashed sweet potatoes that get tossed with a bit of chipotle peppers in adobo to give it a nice smoky taste. It’s pretty addictive. Their buttery texture makes these chipotle mashed sweet potatoes an excellent addition to any Thanksgiving table!
PS – are you thinking of putting this on your Thanksgiving menu? Check out the full What’s Gaby Cooking menu here along with the master prep schedule to keep things organized and on track!
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4-5 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons adobo sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a large pot of water. Place over medium high heat and boil until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the water from the pot, leaving the potatoes in the pot.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the butter, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce to the sweet potatoes. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add extra adobo sauce or chipotle peppers once seasoned depending on how hot you'd like the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter