I bought 2 lbs of basil yesterday at the farmers market. Who am I and am I planning to cook for a small army of humans? Obviously basil vinaigrette pasta was the natural way to put all of it to use!
I you’ve never made basil vinaigrette before, you need to drop whatever you’re doing right this very minute, go to the store, buy all the ingredients, and then go find yourself a blender. It’s the best sauce you could possible make this summer and it goes on EVERYTHING. Like literally everything – case in point right here.
This time around it’s getting tossed with some fresh short pasta, some blanched peas and raw asparagus tips. It’s perfection (and it’s the brainchild of my bff Matt!) The asparagus gives it some bite, the peas are perfect sweet, the basil infuses everything it touches and the pasta is al dente just the way I like it. It’s truly one of the easiest summer pasta dishes you could make! Serve it hot, cold or at room temperature and you’re in business!
- 1 pound short pasta
- Basil vinaigrette as needed (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh peas, blanched
- 1 cup asparagus tips
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves, stems removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and red pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant. Add the blanched peas and remove from the heat. Toss to combine. Add the raw tiny asparagus tips and stir to incorporate. Add the pasta and ½ cup of basil vinaigrette and toss to combine. Add more basil vinaigrette as needed. Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice and serve.
- Combine all the ingredients for the basil vinaigrette in a high powered blender and blend for 60 seconds until very smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!