I’ll eat fajitas every which way whether it’s chicken fajitas, steak fajitas, shrimp fajitas, fajita quesadillas… you name it. I will also eat bowls for lunch everyday of the week. Case in point this make at home Chipotle Burrito Bowl that is on repeat week after week.
Table of Contents
Today it’s all about Chicken Fajitas Bowls with steamed white rice, black beans, charred corn, pico, guacamole and more! It’s perfect. Everything you’ve ever wanted. The poblano peppers in there will 100% seal the deal. And best part about it… you serve it in a bowl. Which if you’re new here, is my all time favorite way to eat anything. Bowls all day, every day.
Chicken Fajitas Bowl Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts - sliced into thin strips and then marinated for an hour
- Marinade - lime juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, ground cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes
- Peppers - a mix of poblano peppers and bell peppers
- Onions - we're using red and yellow here
- Rice - for the base of the bowl
- Toppings - black beans, charred corn, tomatoes, guacamole, lime, and cilantro
Step by Step
- In the bottom of a zip top bag or bowl combine the marinade ingredients, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes and whisk to combine. Next thinly slice the chicken breasts into strips, about the size of your finger. Add the chicken in, mix until it's evenly coated in the marinade, pop it in the fridge and let marinate for 1 hour.
- When you're ready to cook the Chicken Fajitas heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken mixture, marinade included, and sauté until fully cooked. Using a pair of tongs, remove the chicken from the skillet and add the vegetables. Sauté until tender and charred. Add the chicken back into the cast iron skillet and toss to combine.
- Serve the Chicken Fajitas in a bowl with rice, black beans, charred corn, chopped tomatoes, a big spoonful of guacamole, cilantro, and a wedge of lime.
Variations and Substitutions
- Chicken Breasts - feel free to use chicken thighs if you prefer both work great in this recipe
- Poblano Peppers - if you're serving Chicken Fajitas for kids feel free to use more bell peppers instead
- Rice - white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice will work
- Black Beans - feel free to substitute for pinto beans if that's what you prefer or all you have on hand
- Charred Corn - I buy my charred corn frozen from Trader Joes but you could also char a cob of corn yourself
- Toppings - use your favorites here. Shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa would also be delicious additions.
Tips and Tricks
- This Chicken Fajitas recipe calls for the chicken to be marinated for an hour but you could also totally let it marinade for up to 24 hours if you want to make make it in the morning, pop it in the fridge to marinate while you're at work, and come home to dinner being halfway done.
What is chicken fajita made of?
Chicken fajitas only require a handful of ingredients, chicken, bell peppers, onion, spices, lime juice, and your favorite toppings.
What toppings do you put on a fajita?
You can put beans, charred corn, pico, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, salsa, and/or cilantro on a fajita.
What to eat with chicken fajitas?
I would do a Southwestern or Mexican chopped salad and call it a day!
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Easy Chicken Fajitas Bowl
For the Chicken
For the veggies
- 1 poblano pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- ½ yellow onion thinly sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips, about the size of your finger. Combine the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken mixture, marinade included, and sauté until fully cooked. Using a pair of tongs, remove the chicken from the skillet and add the vegetables. Sauté until tender and charred. Add the chicken back into the cast iron skillet and toss to combine.
- Serve in a bowl with rice, black beans, charred corn, chopped tomatoes, a big spoonful of guacamole and a wedge of lime.