I’ll eat fajitas every which way whether it’s chicken fajitas, steak fajitas, shrimp fajitas, fajita quesadillas… you name it.
Table of Contents
Today it’s all about Chicken Fajitas Bowls with steamed white rice, black beans, charred corn, pico, guacamole and more! It’s perfect. Everything you’ve ever wanted. The poblano peppers in there will 100% seal the deal. And best part about it… you serve it in a bowl. Which if you’re new here, is my all time favorite way to eat anything. Bowls all day, every day.
Chicken Fajitas Bowl Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts - sliced into thin strips and then marinated for an hour
- Marinade - lime juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, ground cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes
- Peppers - a mix of poblano peppers and bell peppers
- Onions - we're using red and yellow here
- Rice - for the base of the bowl
- Toppings - black beans, charred corn, tomatoes, guacamole, lime, and cilantro
Step by Step
- In the bottom of a zip top bag or bowl combine the marinade ingredients, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes and whisk to combine. Next thinly slice the chicken breasts into strips, about the size of your finger. Add the chicken in, mix until it's evenly coated in the marinade, pop it in the fridge and let marinate for 1 hour.
- When you're ready to cook the Chicken Fajitas heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken mixture, marinade included, and sauté until fully cooked. Using a pair of tongs, remove the chicken from the skillet and add the vegetables. Sauté until tender and charred. Add the chicken back into the cast iron skillet and toss to combine.
- Serve the Chicken Fajitas in a bowl with rice, black beans, charred corn, chopped tomatoes, a big spoonful of guacamole, cilantro, and a wedge of lime.
Variations and Substitutions
- Chicken Breasts - feel free to use chicken thighs if you prefer both work great in this recipe
- Poblano Peppers - if you're serving Chicken Fajitas for kids feel free to use more bell peppers instead
- Rice - white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice will work
- Black Beans - feel free to substitute for pinto beans if that's what you prefer or all you have on hand
- Charred Corn - I buy my charred corn frozen from Trader Joes but you could also char a cob of corn yourself
- Toppings - use your favorites here. Shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa would also be delicious additions.
Tips and Tricks
- This Chicken Fajitas recipe calls for the chicken to be marinated for an hour but you could also totally let it marinade for up to 24 hours if you want to make make it in the morning, pop it in the fridge to marinate while you're at work, and come home to dinner being halfway done.
What is chicken fajita made of?
Chicken fajitas only require a handful of ingredients, chicken, bell peppers, onion, spices, lime juice, and your favorite toppings.
What toppings do you put on a fajita?
You can put beans, charred corn, pico, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, salsa, and/or cilantro on a fajita.
What to eat with chicken fajitas?
I would do a Southwestern or Mexican chopped salad and call it a day!
Tools Used to Make This
Easy Chicken Fajitas Bowl
For the Chicken
For the veggies
- 1 poblano pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- ½ yellow onion thinly sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips, about the size of your finger. Combine the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken mixture, marinade included, and sauté until fully cooked. Using a pair of tongs, remove the chicken from the skillet and add the vegetables. Sauté until tender and charred. Add the chicken back into the cast iron skillet and toss to combine.
- Serve in a bowl with rice, black beans, charred corn, chopped tomatoes, a big spoonful of guacamole and a wedge of lime.
I made this last night, but used flap steak. I followed the directions exactly (except for the chicken!) but I felt it didn't have enough moisture/seasoning. The corn... huge mistake because I bought a can of charred corn- expensive waste of money. Did I miss a sauce?
I made the lamb meatballs the night before and would give them a rating of 10, so this recipe surprised me a bit.
I honestly hate giving less than a 4 or 5 star, but this wasn't my favorite.
Hi Pascale! So sorry to hear that! I think canned corn generally lacks in flavor so that might have something to do with it. Haven't tested it with flap steak but the seasoning is great on chicken! The moisture comes from the lime and the guac! xx
Something about a meal in a bowl makes it even more delicious!! This one looks amazing!
Yum yum yum! Tried to find simple healthy dinners and this was delicious going to be a regular in this house
OMG so delicious…my husband couldn’t say enough good things about it.
Easy, healthful, and yummy!
So. dang. good. . A little prep work and time-intensive? Yep. Worth it? 100%. And don't overlook this detail: a searing hot cast iron skillet is pretty critical to get that amazing char on your veggies and caramelization on your chicken. Don't push the veggies and chicken around too much. Leave them alone and let them develop some color and flavor.
Lovely work!! Charming one
Delish delish delish! Thank you for another hit!
These were easy to make and very tasty! The teenager and husband loved them. We used riced cauliflower and also had tortillas as an option. These fajitas were awesome especially with our homemade guac!
So yum! Your guacamole is REALLY GOOD! Quick question for weeknight ease...do recommend “charring” frozen corn? It’s not in season yet here - I can’t wait for grilled corn in summer salad season!
I buy the charred frozen corn from trader joes!
Gaby, is it possible to post your recipe for your granola? If someone else has it, please post. Thanks
already on the blog https://whatsgabycooking.com/coconut-granola/
That looks really good! Trader Joe's has a really good frozen charred corn. I loved your chicken chili verde! Delicious!! Love exploring your recipes...Keeping me sane in this time of non-stop cooking. Need to try new things all the time.
Thanks so much!
My pantry is full of O Organics Products and we use them on the daily.
This could be my most favorite dinner EVER!!!
The link to print the recipe navigates me to the home page. Has the link changed?
it's working for me??