I’m on the gnocchi train these days and I have no intention of getting off anytime soon. Gnocchi is beyond easy to make and can take on the flavor of just about any add-in. Let’s cover the basics before we get into this Gnocchi with Peas and Asparagus!
First: what is gnocchi?
It’s a super cute little dumpling that’s typically made with potato, eggs and flour. You can add things into the dough before you form the gnocchi to make it extra flavorful. Herbs, cheese, pepper etc, are all great additions. You can also EASILY buy store bought gnocchi which is what we typically do. It’s quite delicious and pantry staple so you can whip it out for a quick dinner in 20 minutes or less.
Second: how do you cook gnocchi?
Gnocchi can be cooked a handful of ways but my favorite is as follows! I like to boil the gnocchi in a pot of salted water. When you first add the gnocchi to the boiling water, it will sink right to the bottom. Use a wooden spoon to stir it around so it doesn’t stick. As soon as the gnocchi starts to rise to the top and float up, you can remove them one by one with a slotted spoon and transfer to a clean plate. At this point, you’re more than welcome to add sauce and start eating. Occasionally I’ll take it a step further by pan searing the cooked gnocchi in a little oil/butter to crisp up the sides and give it an extra bite. Totally optional step!
Today’s Gnocchi with Peas and Asparagus is loaded with some of my favorite spring / summer flavors! Peas, Asparagus, Lemon, Parmesan, Red Pepper Flakes and that’s about it. It comes together in less than 20 minutes and is an absolute dream!!
A few of my other fav Gnocchi recipes if you’re on a gnocchi kick too:
Gnocchi with Peas and Asparagus
- 1 lb store bought gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 1/2 cup trimmed asparagus pieces
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- handful of fresh mint
- kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes to garnish.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook the gnocchi until they start rise to the top of the water. Once floating, remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and let them dry for a few minutes on a paper towel lined plate. Add the asparagus pieces to the same boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes until bright green.
- Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over a medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the gnocchi to the hot pan with a pinch of salt and black pepper and sauté for 1–2 minutes on each side until slightly golden brown.
- Add the remaining butter and olive oil to the pan and add the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the peas and asparagus along with the lemon juice and toss to combine. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, then add the lemon zest and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with fresh mint and serve immediately.