I've had a longstanding relationship with just about every kind of cheese. And by relationship, I really mean obsession. Whether it's this Cheesy Baked Gnocchi or a decadent cheese plate, there's no way I can turn down anything with cheese!
Now when that cheese happens to be fresh mozzarella that's melted and slathered all over some perfect cooked gnocchi... ALL BETS ARE OFF. No one should be held accountable for their actions when a bowl of this is involved. The little pillows of gnocchi are doused in the worlds best sauce made of crispy pancetta, tomatoes, shallots, garlic and a hint of smoked paprika to give it some depth. And then baked long enough just to melt that mozzarella and make it perfectly gooey. Ugh - I can't even handle it!!!!
Give me a vat of this Cheesy Baked Gnocchi, a big cuddly blanket, and a chilly day and it's pretty much a recipe for perfection!
And heads up - the pancetta in this recipe can easily be substituted with chopped bacon if that's more your jam. Or you can leave it out if you want a vegetarian version of the Cheesy Baked Gnocchi. And if you're just feeling the gnocchi vibe, this Chicken Parmesan Gnocchi is also a winner!
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi
- 1 lb package store-bought gnocchi
- 4 ounces pancetta chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 15- ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- handful cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- fresh basil torn
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella torn into pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Once boiling, cook the gnocchi until they just start to float. Remove them from the water once they float and immediately submerge them in an ice bath. Once cold, remove from the ice bath and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the cubed pancetta to a medium skillet over medium high heat and cook until most of the fat has rendered and the pancetta has browned. Pour off most of the fat, reduce heat to medium, and then add the shallots, garlic and smoked paprika. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, cherry tomatoes and sugar and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the cream. Add the gnocchi to the sauce and season with salt and pepper and torn basil.
- Transfer the gnocchi and sauce to an oven-proof dish and top with the torn mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Photo by Matt Armendariz / Food Styling by Adam Pearson / Recipe by What’s Gaby Cooking
What’s your favorite brand of gnocchi? I love gnocchi but haven’t found a premade one in stores that I love.
Can I use shredded mozzarella for this recipe?
This was delicious! Everyone in the house, including two picky kids loved it!
Cheese, gnocchi, basil and a perfect tom sauce! It’s a 10
Yummy!!!! A new favorite!!
Made this for my family last night and it was amazing. We finished every last bite and wished there was more. I didn't have fresh mozz but did have burrata, which was perfect. The smoked paprika was an important part of the flavor (and not overwhelming), so definitely don't leave it out if you haven't made this yet. YUM!
Made this for dinner tonight and oh my goodness! I ate my weight in gnocci! The smoked paprika gave it such a good flavor!
OMG! I made this for dinner and it is so dang good! I stuck entirely to the recipe. I will be making this again soon! I highly recommend trying this recipe! Thanks Gabby
Do you have a gnocchi you like? The last store bought variety I bought was not a crowd pleaser.:(
I like Delallo!! And the one from whole foods is good
Does the smoked paprika make a huge difference in the dish? I've had it before in another dish and it overpowered the whole dish and was worried that would be the predominate taste. Just want to say as well that I love your snapchats!!! You are the best and loved every recipe I've made!!!
Thanks Jessica! I love the smoked paprika because it's not overpowering with the amount called for - but you could easily leave it out if that's more your jam! XOXOX
Not all that familiar with cooking gnocchi, but planning to make this this evening. Could it be made and assembled in advance and then popped into the oven once we're ready to eat? We have a busy day today and an impatient 2.5 year old and 10 month old!
that totally works!
I would love someone to show me a Lactose Free Way of making this dish, it looks phenomenal!!!
Love gnocchi! Craving a bowlful of your cheesy baked version to devour right now.. it looks SO hearty, delicious and comforting!
Can't wait to make this! About how many would you say this serves as a main course? I'd like to make for a dinner party this weekend 🙂
You had me at cheesy. and gnocchi. and, and, and... YUM 🙂