If you're like me and refuse to turn on your oven / stovetop these days, you need this Prosciutto and Melon salad in your life stat! Not only does it work really well as a stand alone lunch, but also goes great with alongside a delicious meat and cheese lasagna or chicken parm recipe.
I don't know about you guys - but it feels like EVERYONE is in Italy this summer. Trust me, I'd gladly be there too but not in the cards this summer. Because of that, I've been reminiscing about our trip to Italy for my 30th birthday and craving this Prosciutto and Melon Salad!
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
Every single place we'd visit on our Italy tripped served some version of a Prosciutto and Melon either in a salad or platter. It was my everything. The sweetness from the various melons with the saltiness from the prosciutto is a match made in heaven. It couldn't be easier to make. It's just a few simple ingredients! Predominately really really really good melon.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ciliegine Mozzarella
- Baby Arugula
- Prosciutto - I tend to buy this at my favorite local market!
- Basil Leaves
- Mint Leaves
- Champagne Vinegar – white wine vinegar also works well on this Prosciutto and Melon recipe
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Glaze (optional)
*For a full list of ingredients and instructions please see detailed recipe card below
How to Make Prosciutto and Melon Salad
Start by making the dressing. Then toss the dressing with the arugula and transfer to a serving platter. Tuck the sliced or scooped melon in the arugula and top with mozzarella balls and tear the prosciutto into bite-size pieces and scatter it overtop as well. Scatter with the fresh basil and mint leaves, drizzle with balsamic glaze and season with freshly ground black pepper.
Tips & Tricks
How do you buy really good melons you ask? Well, here's the deal.
Cantaloupe - Smell the cantaloupe where the fruit was cut from it's stem. It should smell very fragrant and sweet. If it doesn't, move on to the next one!
Honeydew - First, make sure the honeydew is green!! We don't want any grey-ish melons! You know that it's ready to eat when you can hear the seeds rattling around when you shake it near your ear. And don't be afraid to give it a gentle shake when there are other shoppers around, they can judge all they want, but at least you're going to go home with a great piece of fruit!
What fruits go well with prosciutto?
Melon is the go to choice but stone fruits pair beautifully with prosciutto too!
More Melon Recipes
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Melon and Prosciutto Salad
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 small cantaloupe sliced or scooped into melon balls
- 1 small honeydew sliced or scooped into melon balls
- 8 ounces bite-size fresh mozzarella drained
- 2 to 3 ounces prosciutto torn
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- balsamic glaze (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk the vinegar, salt and pepper while slowly pouring in the olive oil. Toss the dressing with the arugula and transfer to a serving platter.
- Tuck the sliced or scooped melon in the arugula and top with mozzarella balls and tear the prosciutto into bite-size pieces and scatter it overtop as well. Scatter with the fresh basil and mint leaves, drizzle with balsamic glaze and season with freshly ground black pepper.