I brought a few things home from our Europe trip last year… a few extra pounds, some shoes, and a major love for Melon Caprese Skewers!
There are a few constants while in any country in Europe during the summer months – I always have an Aperol Sprtiz before dinner. We get pizza and gelato at least twice a day. And a melon and prosciutto appetizer always appears at dinner. It’s the perfect combo of salty and sweet and I’ve been making these Melon Caprese Skewers on repeat since coming home.
Seeing as how summer is upon us (OFFICIALLY TODAY), and it’s all about entertaining, I turned our favorite appetizer into a bite sized snack that you can make, bring, serve, devour all summer long. 3 kinds of melon, honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon skewered with fresh mozzarella and salty prosciutto and then drizzled with basil vinaigrette. What more could you ask for? These Melon Caprese Skewers are beyond simple!
Use a melon scooper or a small ice cream scoop to form the melon balls and then you’re ready to go! Or skip the skewers and just make a really killer melon ball and mozzarella salad with a drizzle of the vinaigrette!
- 1/2 cup Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 small cantaloupe, scooped into balls
- 1 small honeydew, scooped into balls
- 1 small seedless watermelon, scooped into balls
- 20 fresh water-packed mozzarella balls, drained
- 10 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise, gathered into ruffle
- Small wooden skewers (about 4-6 inches long)
- Maldon sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Thread an assortment of the ingredients on the skewer - melon ball, basil leaf, mozzarella ball, ruffled prosciutto etc.
- Arrange skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette and sprinkle with maldon sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!