I brought a few things home from our Europe trip a few years ago (and again this past week)... a few extra lbs, some shoes, and a major love for Melon Caprese Skewers! If you love my Tomato Caprese Salad then I think you will be equally as obsessed with this dish.
There are a few constants while in any country in Europe during the summer months - I always have an Aperol Sprtiz before dinner. We get pizza and gelato at least twice a day. And a melon and prosciutto appetizer always appears at dinner. It's the perfect combo of salty and sweet and I've been making these Melon Caprese Skewers on repeat since coming home.
Seeing as how summer is upon us, and it's all about entertaining, I turned our favorite appetizer into a bite sized snack that you can make, bring, serve, devour all summer long. 3 kinds of melon, honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon skewered with fresh mozzarella and salty prosciutto and then drizzled with basil vinaigrette. These Melon Caprese Skewers are beyond simple! What more could you ask for? Pair it up with some grilled ribeye and you have a party!
Use a melon scooper or a small ice cream scoop to form the melon balls and then you're ready to go! Or skip the skewers and just make a really killer melon ball and mozzarella salad with a drizzle of the vinaigrette!
Melon Caprese Skewers
- ½ cup Basil Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- 1 small cantaloupe scooped into balls
- 1 small honeydew scooped into balls
- 1 small seedless watermelon scooped into balls
- 20 fresh water-packed mozzarella balls drained
- 10 thin slices prosciutto cut in half lengthwise, gathered into ruffle
- Small wooden skewers about 4-6 inches long
- Maldon sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
For the basil vinaigrette
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves stems removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Thread an assortment of the ingredients on the skewer - melon ball, basil leaf, mozzarella ball, ruffled prosciutto etc.
- Arrange skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil vinaigrette and sprinkle with maldon sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.