Spinach dip is one of those classic recipes, like 7 Layer Dip, that's always a hit. It's perfect for parties, game day snacks, or just a quick and easy dinner. Plus, it's so simple to put together that you can have it ready in no time! If you're looking for a new spin on your favorite dip, give this recipe a try. You won't be disappointed.
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
It's about that time people!! Game day season is upon us and you know I take that very seriously! Dips are an integral part of any game day party and spinach dip is mandatory.
Whenever we go out for dinner its fairly safe to say that if there's a Spinach Dip on the menu, it's coming to my table. Any excuse to eat tortilla chips, especially homemade tortilla chips! It's by far one of my favorite appetizers and a good homemade spinach dip recipe is crucial. I've been making this recipe for years. (literally, it first popped up on my website back in 2010. Oh man, I'm getting old)
It's easy to make and easier to eat. It starts with onions and garlic, as most good things do... and get fresh spinach, cream cheese, mozzarella, spice and some other things on top. Everything melds together to make a creamy hot spinach dip that is too good to resist. Trust me - I've tried. If you're intrigued by a baked cozy version, try the cheesy artichoke dip that adds a crisp golden breadcrumb topping, or if you want to try different greens, the cheesy creamed kale and the hot kale and bacon dip is also a big hit in our house!
You can serve Spinach Dip with crudité, pita chips, homemade tortilla chips (my personal favorite) or any type of crackers. It belongs on your game day menu for sure!! And, since I know I'll get a few emails about it - if you plan on making this and bringing it to someones house to watch the game, you can make it, pop it in a slow cooker, and then just plug it on and turn it on low to keep it warm throughout the game. And while you're at it, make some guacamole for game too. You're welcome.
Ingredients & Substitutions
To get your dip super creamy I like to add in milk, cream cheese, and mozzarella. These three ingredients are responsible for all the gooey creaminess. Here is a simplified list of ingredients that goes into this recipe. If you are looking for detailed measurements please see the recipe card down at the bottom of this post.
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Cream Cheese
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Spinach Dip
Step 1: In a large pan add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Then add in the spinach and cook until completely wilted.
Step 2: Transfer to a colander and drain, pressing the spinach down with the back of a wooden spoon to release all excess liquid.
Step 3: In the same pot, warm the milk. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth and melted.
Step 4: Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, mozzarella, salt, and pepper.
Step 5: Simmer until ready to serve.
Step 6: Serve with chips.
How to Store Spinach Dip
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to four days. These are my favorite glass tupperware containers for storing leftovers.
Tips & Tricks
If you plan on making this and bringing it to someones house to watch the game, you can make it, pop it in a slow cooker, and then just plug it on and turn it on low to keep it warm throughout the game.
What is creamy spinach dip made of?
To get your dip super creamy I like to add in milk, cream cheese, and mozzarella. Then the base is made of spinach, yellow onions, and garlic. And finally it's seasoned with worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
Do you eat spinach dip cold or hot?
You really can't go wrong; however, I would suggest eating this one hot or at room temperature. You want to avoid the mozzarella from hardening up as it cools.
What tastes good with spinach dip?
One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is because of the homemade tortilla chips that go perfect with this dip. I always felt that the bread options most restaurants give you makes it really hard to scoop. Plus who wants to use a knife to spread a dip while watching you favorite team play?
If you're in the market for a delicious and crowd-pleasing spinach dip recipe, look no further! This one is easy to follow, and always a hit at game day gatherings or potlucks. Add it to your repertoire and you won't be disappointed.
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Hot Spinach Dip
For the Spinach Dip
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds spinach and coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Freshly made tortilla chips recipe below
For the Tortilla Chips
- 5 small corn tortillas
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
To Make the Chips
- Cut the tortillas into 6 triangles each. Add the oil to a heavy bottom pan over high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add a few of the tortilla triangles at a time and fry for about 1 minute on each side until they are crisp. Remove from the oil and transfer to a paper towel. Sprinkle with sea salt.
To make the Spinach Dip
- Head a large pan over medium heat and add the oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until completely wilted, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander and drain, pressing the spinach down with the back of a wooden spoon to release all excess liquid.
- In the same pot, warm the milk over high heat. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth and melted, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, and mozzarella and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium low heat until ready to serve. Transfer to serving dish and serve with chips.
- If you plan on making this and bringing it to someones house to watch the game, you can make it, pop it in a slow cooker, and then just plug it on and turn it on low to keep it warm throughout the game.