Table of Contents
This is a safe place right? Somewhere where I can admit that I'm a bit of a salsa snob? I really can't be blamed for this though. Growing up in Tucson basically made me this way. Salsa was everywhere and I sampled just about everything Arizona had to offer. I've kept my salsa eating habits since living in California the last 15+ years. And I don't intend to give it up anytime soon. Which is why you all need this Homemade Chipotle Salsa recipe in your life immediately.
I want salsa that packs some serious flavor. Nothing too mellow. A little spice. Plenty of depth of flavor. Also, fire roasted tomatoes... yes! That really cranks it up a few notches. Cilantro is a must. Garlic and onions, obviously. And chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. It's the icing on the cake. This salsa puts pretty much every store bought salsa to shame! Make it immediately. If you love this recipe, you will be obsessed with my traditional arbol chile salsa. Check it out!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes – the fire roasted part of this is important as it add extra flavor! You could swap this for regular canned tomatoes or homemade roasted tomatoes if you prefer!
- Yellow Onion – to be honest, yellow or red works. But you need the onion or a bit of a shallot.
- Garlic – if I ever make a savory recipe without garlic, send help.
- Jalapeño – you can dial this back, omit it entirely, or add even more depending on your spice preference. But I've found that ½ of a jalapeño pepper is perfect for our family. On the other hand, if you're into spice, feel free to swap this out with your favorite pepper - Serrano or Habanero.
- Chipotles in Adobo – you can buy these in any market - and sometimes you'll find them in a squeeze bottle pre-chopped! Either works! These are tough to substitute - but if you can't find, I've sautéed a poblano pepper before and used that instead.
- Salt and Pepper – goes without saying!
- Fresh Cilantro – you're welcome to omit this if you HATE cilantro! I've also found that some people swap with parsley and love it! Totally up to your personal perference.
- Fresh Lime Juice – this always just wakes everything up and brightens the whole recipe.
How to Make Homemade Chipotle Salsa
Step 1: Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender.
Step 2: Pulse until everything is evenly blended. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
What to Serve with Homemade Chipotle Salsa
This Homemade Chipotle Salsa goes on just about everything.
This recipe makes me particularly happy for many reasons, but one giant one being there's really no knife work involved. No chopping up tomatoes perfectly... none of that here. Instead it all goes into a blender and then you're ready to eat! And obsessed. And cry because it's the best salsa you'll ever have in your entire life!
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
- 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes 14 oz
- ½ cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ jalapeño chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo plus 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- Combine all ingredients in the food processor or high powered blender and pulse until everything is evenly blended.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Add more chipotle peppers if you like it extra spice.
- Remove from food processor or blender and refrigerate.