This Chickpea Chopped Salad is a mash up of a Greek Salad mixed with some crispy roasted chickpeas and the most delicious chopped salad dressing you'll ever make! It's perfect for prepping ahead and taking to work or keeping on hand in the fridge for busy days.
Table of Contents
I live for an easy lunch. This Chickpea Chopped Salad is exactly that. It's easy to prep ahead. Lasts for a few days when store in the fridge, and packs some serious flavor and protein.
Chopped Salad Ingredients
- Crispy Chickpeas - I keep canned chickpeas stocked at all times so I can not only make hummus, my fav baked chickpea dish, or throw a handful or two into the oven to throw on salads. It's an easy way to add protein into a meal without having to make chicken, steak, seafood etc. In the Chickpea Chopped Salad recipe you'll see below, there are chickpeas two ways. One is seasoned with an easy spice blend and roasted until crispy, and the other way is just drained and rinsed straight out of the can. Double protein and double texture!
- Cherry Tomatoes - you can't have a Greek inspired chop without tons of tomatoes! It's tomato season, so go snag some at the store and get cooking!
- Cucumbers - another food that I always have on hand! I love a Persian cucumber as they are smaller, easier to chop and the skin is a little bit easier to bite into so no peeling required!
- Herbs - my favorite way to add lots of flavor quickly! I'm using parsley and mint and basil in this one! But feel free to add chives if you have them on hand. They're an excellent addition.
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers - if you have time to fire up the grill and make some yourself- please do! Otherwise, snag a jar from the store and give them a rough chop. It's a nice addition of sweetness from the pepper.
- Feta - the salty briney feta really makes this salad shine. Make sure to buy the sheets of feta in the brine - it's the best in my opinion.
How to Make a Chickpea Chopped Salad
Start by preheating your oven to 425°F. Place chickpeas onto a parchment lined baking sheet and toss them with the olive oil, salt and spices. Roast for 20 minutes until crispy, remove, and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to keep them crispy.
Next, get started on the dressing. I like to make it at the bottom of the salad bowl and then add all of my salad ingredients on top - it's just one less thing to wash. In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Then, add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted red pepper, and herbs to the bowl and toss to combine. Taste and season as needed. Add the feta cheese, and toss in the roasted chickpeas. Adjust seasoning as needed and serve.
Variations and Substitutions
Feta - Feel free to omit the feta to make this Chickpea Chopped Salad dairy-free, or swap it for bocconcini/mozzarella pearls if you don't like feta.
Herbs - If you have chives they'd be a great addition.
Tips & Tricks
This Chickpea Chopped Salad best served just after tossing, so that the chickpeas remain crispy. It will last a few days in the fridge, though the texture will change.
What is chopped salad made of?
A chopped salad has a couple of components. Usually the base is some variety of greens like romaine lettuce. Then, finely chopped vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, etc. are mixed in. Fruit can also be added. Next, there is a cheese component, whether that's feta, cheddar, or mozzarella. Some herbs are always a great addition whether that be basil, mint, chives, or parsley. And finally a vinaigrette or dressing to drizzle over everything and toss before serving.
What's the difference between chopped and tossed salad?
In a chopped salad all of the ingredients are finely diced so you get a bit of everything in each bite. A tossed salad typically has larger pieces so you may only get a couple different components in a bite.
Tools Used to Make This
What you’ll need:
Chickpea Chopped Salad
For the Chickpeas
- ⅓ cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
For the Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 whole Persian cucumbers sliced
- ⅓ cup roasted red peppers roughly chopped
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil torn
- 4-6 ounces feta cheese crumbled from a block of feta
For the Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Place chickpeas onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and spices. Transfer the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 20 minutes until crispy. Remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to keep them crispy.
For the Chopped Salad
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted red pepper, and herbs to the bowl and toss to combine. Taste and season as needed. Add the feta cheese, and toss in the roasted chickpeas. Adjust seasoning as needed and serve.
I love your recipes and this one looks just as delicious ❣️. I'll have to make this, my husband loves salads and I always have chick peas because I use them in my Mexican rice . Thanks for sharing ❣️❣️
This quick and easy recipe is delicious and nutritious! Its my go to on lazy nights. It allows me to be try different versions and still remain yummy. One night i mixed it with homemade fettuccine. Another night I added chopped baked chicken breast! Yum!
Hello. This looks wonderful. I am a little confused by the chickpea part. It says 1/3 cup chickpeas in the chickpea recipe part, but then another 2 cups in the main recipe part. Are some roasted and some not?
yup - some are roasted and some are not!
I just made this salad yesterday for dinner. It was delicious and my husband loved it. It’s a 10 plus. Thank you
Delicious! I did 2/3 cup chickpeas in the oven- 1/3 cup didn’t seem like enough with all the seasonings. Looking forward to making this again!
So Good!!! I had a little Purple Kale in the fridge so I threw some in, it was great addition, thanks for the recipe
I’m a little confused because the video you posted shows that you’re frying the chickpeas on the stove, but the recipe says to roast them in the oven. Also am I supposed to use additional chickpeas (drained and rinsed) in the salad?
I love your recipes and love seeing your family in your posts! I bought my daughter and son your newest cookbook for Christmas.
Thank you for being so inspiring!
when I made the video - we had lost power so I did them on the stove!! Either works!
How long do roasted chickpeas stay crispy? I want to make some for the salad but also to have on hand for a snack?
a day or so!!
Is this gluten free?
Yummy and healthy! Don't hold out on the herbs, so flavorful.
This was SO good. All of the fresh herbs and the crispy chickpea topper set it above any other chickpea salad recipe I’ve tried.
Oh this sounds completely wonderful. I am always going to keep chick peas on hand as well!!