My fav German Potato Salad with a bright herby pancetta vinaigrette.
German Potato Salad is in my blood (literally my Grandparents are German!) It runs through my veins – and it’s EVERYTHING you need for summer cook-outs this year!
What is German Potato Salad?
German Potato Salad at its core, is a side dish made with boiled potatoes and other various delicious ingredients. Think bacon, herbs, garlic, onions, etc. According to my Omi (that’s grandma in German) Potato Salad originated in Germany, and she has been kind enough to share the family recipe with us.
Now that we know what the Potato Salad basics are, and where it came from I would like to make a confession. I’m partial to a vinaigrette based potato salad, vs the traditional mayo based American Potato Salads. I think it partially has something to do with my German roots and the tangy/acidic combo of the vinegar and potatoes. It’s also much healthier than boiled potatoes covered in mayo and lasts longer sitting out at a BBQ.
What makes a great German Potato Salad?
The simple answer is a timeless traditional recipe that has been passed down through my family over the past 100 years! My Omi and my Omi’s Omi have been making the most incredible potato salad loaded with herbs, bacon and a simple vinaigrette since I can remember. It’s literal perfection and it’s hard not to eat it before throwing it on the table for a dinner party.
I love this zesty potato salad so much that I’ve been known to make a double batch because my snacking is that INTENSE!
If you’re lucky enough to have any of the bacon and herb mixture with the vinaigrette leftover after polishing off the potatoes… drizzle it on just about anything for an extra punch of flavor. Or slather it on some grilled bread. Use it as a sauce base of pizza. It should never be wasted!
So there you have it, the ultimate German Potato Salad Recipe. Use it as a side dish alongside some grilled steak or chicken and it’s a winner! Serve it warm, serve it at room temp or serve it as leftovers chilled. You truly can’t go wrong any way.
While you are here check out some of my other favorite Potato Salads and potato side dishes:
German Potato Salad
- 3 pounds baby new potatoes halved or quartered
- 8 ounces pancetta small diced (or bacon)
- 1 large red onion diced
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 bunch chives thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender and remove from heat, drain and set aside in a bowl.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the diced onion to the pancetta grease, and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Carefully add the vinegar and mustard to the onions and cook for 2 minutes and turn off the heat. Whisk in the oil and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the hot dressing to the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Fold in the pancetta, green onions and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.