Sun Golds are giving me LIFE these days! This Sun Gold Tomato Caprese with Burrata cheese and toasty breadcrumbs is truly the easiest summer noshing situation ever! It's my favorite spin on a traditional Caprese Salad.
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
If I could eat nothing but sun gold tomatoes, burrata cheese, some stone fruit salads and maybe some pizza for the next 4 months, I WOULD BE THRILLED. This Sun Gold Tomato Caprese is true perfection. Sun Golds are what caprese dreams are made of. Next time you see some at your local market, snag a few pints and make this.
If you haven't heard of Sun Gold Tomatoes before - let me be the first to welcome you to your new go-to tomato. The flavor of Sun Gold tomatoes is superb and gets sweeter the darker it gets. Like many yellow-orange tomatoes, Sun Gold tastes almost fruity and they're easy to just pop into your mouth, one after the other.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Sun Gold Tomatoes
- Burrata Cheese - fresh mozzarella is a great sub if you can't get your hands on burrata.
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Basil Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Maldon Sea Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
*For full its of ingredients and instructions please see recipe card below
How to Make Sun Gold Tomato Caprese
Start by making the crispy breadcrumbs. Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat with the olive oil and butter. Add the panko and sauté for 3-5 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown about 30 seconds before it's done, add the garlic. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess oil.
Then, on a platter arrange the balls of burrata torn open with the sun gold tomatoes and top with the crispy panko topping and fresh basil. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper and serve alongside crostini.
Tips & Tricks
It works as an appetizer if you want to serve with crostini. It can also work as a full meal if you want to just go to town by yourself... which I would highly recommend. No matter what way you slice it, this recipe is one you'll want on repeat...
What tomatoes are similar to sun gold?
Any ripe yellow or orange tomato would work in this recipe if you can't find a sun gold!
What does caprese mean in Italian cooking?
Caprese is a mixture of tomatoes and mozzarella! It's simple and perfect and you'll see it on every menu in any Italian inspired restaurant.
More Summer Tomato Recipes
If you tried this recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting today!
Sun Gold Tomato Caprese with Burrata
- 2-3 pints sun gold tomatoes quartered
- 1-2 balls burrata cheese
- fresh baby basil leaves
- Maldon Sea Salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- olive oil to garnish
- super thinly sliced toasted crostini
For the Toasted Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- On a platter arrange the balls of burrata torn open with the sun gold tomatoes and top with the additional ingredients. Serve alongside crostini.
For the Breadcrumbs
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat with the olive oil and butter. Add the panko and sauté for 3-5 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown about 30 seconds before it's done, add the garlic. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain any excess oil. Use as needed