Main Course Salads. They’re my favorite things in the whole wide world and this Avocado + Chicken Fajita Cobb is about to be your new bff.
We’ve been doing the California spin on cobbs for a minute here on What’s Gaby Cooking. I just love a loaded salad! (but I don’t love a hard boiled egg – hence why we always put a spin on the traditional cobb!)
Imagine everything you normally wrap up in a warm tortilla but on top of a bed of greens so you’re getting all your favorite flavors but a few less calories. I’m 100% on board. Especially because we just decided we are going to Greece this summer and I need to be prepared to run around in a swim suit for a week! OMG I better get my butt to the gym stat.
Just whip up some sautéed peppers – grill some chicken that’s been marinated in one of my favorite marinades – and add all the goodies on top! Corn, avocado, feta or cotija cheese, tomatoes, easy peasy! Serve it up as a main course and dinner is ready! If you plan to save some for leftovers, remove a portion before dressing it so it doesn’t get soggy, and save it for the following day!
Avocado + Chicken Fajita Cobb
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
For the Salad
- 3-4 cups market greens
- 2 corn on the cob kernels removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup sautéed bell peppers
- 1-2 avocados sliced
- ½ cup feta
- ½ cup raw corn on the cob
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Combine the vegetable oil, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Place the chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade. Place it into the fridge and let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice the chicken against the grain and use as needed.
- On a large platter arrange the greens with all the toppings on top.
- Whisk the ingredients for the vinaigrette together. Toss the salad with the vinaigrette and serve.