Main Course Salads are EVERYTHING. They're my favorite things in the whole wide world and this Chicken Fajita Cobb is about to be your weeknight fav. Please bring on all the avocado!!
We've been doing the California spin on cobbs for a minute here on What's Gaby Cooking. I just love a loaded salad! (but I don't love a hard boiled egg - hence why we always put a spin on the traditional cobb!)
Imagine everything you normally wrap up in a warm tortilla but on top of a bed of greens so you're getting all your favorite flavors but a few less calories when it comes to this Chicken Fajita Cobb. I'm 100% on board. Especially because after this past weekend, I need a minute to let my body reset! Did I eat 3 dozen of my Dad's Kitchen Sink Cookies in 4 days.... I sure did.
So if you're wanting a little bit of a reset... let's do it together. Just whip up some sautéed peppers - grill some chicken that's been marinated in one of my favorite marinades - and add all the goodies on top! Corn, avocado, feta or cotija cheese, tomatoes, easy peasy! Serve it up as a main course and dinner is ready! If you plan to save some for leftovers, remove a portion before dressing it so it doesn't get soggy, and save it for the following day!
Stuck in a dinner rut? Looking for new delicious dinner ideas? Check out my roundup of 50+ easy dinner ideas here.
Chicken Fajita Cobb
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
For the Salad
- 3-4 cups market greens
- 2 corn on the cob kernels removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup sautéed bell peppers
- 1-2 avocados sliced
- ½ cup feta
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Combine the vegetable oil, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano, salt and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Place the chicken in a large zip top plastic bag and add the marinade. Zip the bag and mix the chicken into the marinade. Place it into the fridge and let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat an indoor or outdoor grill to about 400 degrees F (medium high heat). Place the chicken onto the grill and grill 5 to 6 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice the chicken against the grain and use as needed.
- On a large platter arrange the greens with all the toppings on top.
- Whisk the ingredients for the vinaigrette together. Toss the salad with the vinaigrette and serve.
I saw this first thing this morning on Instagram and knew I had to have it for dinner tonight! The chicken was so flavorful! I added a hard boiled egg and some cucumber to the salad. I grilled the peppers along with the chicken like Gaby did in her reel. This recipe is a definite keeper!
I love that your recipes are scalable, but when I scaled it down for 2 people instead of 4, the amount of chicken was the same. Is that intentional?
the scaling down function doesn't seem to be working on the website - we're trying to work thru it on development
Delicious! Perfect dinner salad, used chicken thighs and grilled on outdoor grill for easy clean up. Added thinly sliced onions to my pepper sauté because we love the combo. Will make again soon!
OmG...cant wait to try!!!! And Then let ya know how great it was ad it looks !!!!
Made this for dinner tonight. It was sooo good. There's only two of us, so there are leftovers for tomorrow. The only thing I added were some sautéed onions because I always serve grilled or sautéed onions with fajitas. Grilled the corn until it was golden brown. Also sprinkled everything with lime juice.
Dear Husband asked me to put this one into regular rotation.
I love a main course salad as well!! This one looks delicious!! Anything to keep summer going as long as possible!
This marinade rocks. Can use for shrimp too! The whole salad is super yummy
I have your cookbook and followed it exactly, I want to make for my daughter's wedding shower. I am finding this recipe with the added feta and sautéed bell peppers which I think would help the flavor. How would you sautés the bell peppers? Serve them cold? Should the chicken be cold?
Very flavorful and easy to make!
This salad was delicious and all the colors make a gorgeous presentation!
What a gorgeous salad! Need this week STAT!
I could eat this salad all the time! It's loaded with so many favorite ingredients....delicious!!!
We do love a fully loaded salad!! This now looks absolutely divine!
Ah, I love salads, as in really love and could eat them every day, but lately, I've been in a "salad rut" and haven't wanted them for lunch and my current choices haven't been very good or healthy at all. I think I need to look towards "main course" salads starting with this one because my mouth is watering just looking at these pics!
All those veggies make for a beautiful cobb salad!