What on EARTH could be better than a perfectly crafted taco salad topped with the optional fried tortilla strips? Nothing.
Did you guys take your lunch to school or buy it there? 95% of my life I took my lunch to school. Mama Dalkin would pack it every morning and off I went. The 5% of the time I was allowed to buy lunch it was like I hit the JACKPOT. I mean, clearly I had a very exciting childhood. Buying school lunch was basically an excuse to throw a party. Not that I needed another excuse to party, I did my fair share of that through high school. Regardless, on that one special day every now and then I’d buy myself a majorly loaded taco salad. It was my shining moment. I was being “healthy” because I was eating a salad but it was loaded with guac and cheese and really nothing could be better!
Bonus – if you want to be super extra, add some freshly fried tortilla strips or chips on top. WINNING.
I’m bringing back the taco salad. It’s coming out of retirement and my poor husband isn’t going to know what hit him because we’re making these every night for dinner for the foreseeable future. Until I overdose on taco salads and decide I need to binge on some girl scout cookies… happy weekend!
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 heads Romaine Lettuce, thinly shredded
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and corn sliced off the cob
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- cilantro leaves
- A few tablespoons red onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend for 2 minutes until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed and set aside.
- Place a medium skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more. Add the ground chicken or turkey and continue to cook for 6-7 minutes until fully cooked. Add the taco seasoning and the water and reduce heat to low. Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes while you assemble the salad.
- If you’re layering this in one large serving bowl, layer half of the lettuce on the bottom followed by half of all the other toppings. Add the next layer of lettuce on top and finish with the remaining toppings. Top with the meat and toss together with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Add more as needed and serve immediately.
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!