Kale Taco Salads all around today!!
Growing up my mom used to make me lunch every day to take to school. Looking back, I didn’t realize how lucky I was but that’s besides the point. In high school I finally convinced her to let me buy lunch a few days a week and there is NOTHING that I’d look forward to more, than the days when the cafeteria would have taco salads. I would load mine up with literally a cup of shredded cheese, a few vegetables and all the ranch dressing I wanted. It came in a fried tortilla shell so I’d power down what was probably 12423423 million calories in a few minutes and then get back to socializing with friends. I miss the days when calories didn’t count and my metabolism was only 17 years old.
ANYWAYS… fast forward to today. I still love a taco salad, but you know I like to put my California spin on things. I’ve ditched the fried tortilla shell because I said goodbye to my teenage metabolism long ago, and replaces from of the ingredients with healthier options! Case in point – my cilantro vinaigrette! You’ll love this one! And you could even add in some shredded chicken or cooked ground taco meat if you want extra protein!! Have at it!
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed (about 4 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 heads Curly Kale, thinly shredded
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ½ jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and corn sliced off the cob
- 2 avocados, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- cilantro leaves
- 1 cup Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend for 2 minutes until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed and set aside.
- Prep all the food according to the ingredient list. Arrange everything in a large salad bowl - serve with the cilantro vinaigrette
I am so excited you are making one of my recipes and I would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to share it on instagram and tag me @whatsgabycookin so I can see your masterpiece!